Getting winter ready, gear advice

Jonahnieuwe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

In a few days I’ll be going on winter sport and taking with me my Fujifilm X-t2 and 16-55 f2.8 and that’s pretty much all I have in my kit right now. So my question is what kind of filters do I need? What is a good light tripod? What is a good bag insert for this combo. Are there other things I’ll defenitely need that I haven’t said yet?

If you guys have questions or need me too eleborate just ask

Have you ever tested your gear in sub-freezing temp?
Some gear/batteries do not work well in COLD sub-freezing temp.

Here are couple to carry.
  • A polarizing filter may work on snow, but I have not tried it to verify.
  • Spare battery, that you keep inside your warm jacket.
  • Large zip lock plastic bag. To put your camera into when you go inside from the cold. So the moisture condensation will collect on the outside of the bag, and not on the gear and lens surface.

Have you ever tested your gear in sub-freezing temp?
Some gear/batteries do not work well in COLD sub-freezing temp.

Here are couple to carry.
  • A polarizing filter may work on snow, but I have not tried it to verify.
  • Spare battery, that you keep inside your warm jacket.
  • Large zip lock plastic bag. To put your camera into when you go inside from the cold. So the moisture condensation will collect on the outside of the bag, and not on the gear and lens surface.
I have used my x-pro2 with 35mm f2 in -5 degrees Celsius, so the x-t2 should be fine.
I will look in to the polarizing filter, there’s probably someone on the internet that made a video or forum post about it. A spare battery is defenitely on the list.

That ziplock idea is really good, if I go from the snow into one of those little warm wooden restaurants and then an hour later back into the cold again condensation could really be a problem. Does a ziplock bag really posses this much magic so it will keep my lens and body from condensation?

Here are a couple of tips:
1. Extra microfibre cloths. B/c your lens will condense as you go from indoors to outdoors and back. And moisture will form on it. Or you'll get a little snow and ice on it, go someplace warm and it turns to water. So you're going to be devoting a lot of attention to wiping away water and condensation.
2. An extra battery for sure. When batteries get cold, they appear to lose power. They didn't, they just aren't connecting. Slip the battery under your armpit for 10 minutes or in your underwear and it will be as good as new. But that means you'll be swapping batteries back and forth.
3. Look at some examples of good cold weather/winter/snow/holiday photos so you get some ideas. For instance, I think DoF shots of ornaments, or icicles, or condensation on glass all make for get holiday shots.
4. After a new snow, get up early before anyone gets out there and leaves footprints in the snow. Look for old buildings or classic cars that, with snow on them, will become a time machine. A bridge is another. Iconic sites (I've included a shot of Arlington National Cemetery with snow on the ground).
5. Bring a small tripod or beanbag (a small tripod could be something like 3 rigid legs that are 6 inches each) and then take timed exposures of running water surrounded by ice.
6. Automatic exposure on your camera will be fooled by snow. It will make it look dingy and gray. Or everything will be blown out and overexposed. So read up about your specific camera and white balance and exposure with snow.
estes park creek-2.jpg
Ice-6.jpg
ANC-62.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back