Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by toofpaste, Sep 29, 2008.
Some of the hot spots you see were done on purpose. But feel free to critique them anyways.
Sorry for the rough PS edits on some of these, I just wanted to upload them as soon as I could. They still need some work.
i think these look really good. the one of her stepping in/out of the car seems too contrasty and you lose any definition in her hair.
also, who's gloves is she wearing? lol those are huge on her! (sorry just picking a bit)
Yes and yes. I agree. Lol I saw that the gloves on her looked huge after the shoot. But I like the picture so much.
So.....I don't know what to say here. These are incredibly nice photos and comparing them to the photo's of your nieces that you posted awhile back, I'm amazed at that improvement in less than 2 months.
Let me guess. You've been spending a lot of time doing 2 things. Strobist and practicing shooting? I think they all look great and I'll hit them 1 by 1 for you with my thoughts (humbled as can be by the way).
1. Great Lighting and beatiful against the perfectly exposed sky. Only slight problem to me is that I can look up her nose due to her pose versus your position. Not sure that you could have fixed that and had the same "feel" to the shot though.
2. You exposed her perfectly. My only problem is that her hair blends in the with the darkened interior of the car. It would have been cool if you could have thrown a strobe in the back seat to add a tiny bit of light to the interior (but still darker than the rest) and even a gelled strobe in there would have been cool maybe.
3. Pretty much the same thoughts as #2.
4. Very cool shots and love the exposure/lighting contrast between the subject and the background.
5. Again I like the contrast of the subject to background lighting.
Okay, I did my critique/opinion on them....now if you would be so kind to post the setup you used on these....I can tell where the lightsource came from, but was it hard light or umbrella? 1 and 2 seem like fairly soft light while the others are harder light.
I'm still amazed that in 2 months time I went from giving you a critique (on your neices photos) to wishing I could take photos like you (these). Great job man.
Almost forgot, but I really like your photoshopping techniques on these and I'd love to hear what you did on those.
Wow man...thanks, this is the kind of critique that lets me get better. As an amateur photographer, I rarely see those details that you mention before. But now, I will pay attention to them in future shoots. I agree with all your critique and thank you for taking the time to do so.
1, 3, and 4 were done with Umbrella and my hotshoe. 2&5 I just used a reflector to partially bounce some of my flash.
As far as PS goes, adjusted levels, on some shots the sky was slightly over/under exposed so I multiplied/screened some layers(just of the sky) to balance them out.
Um...Airbrushed her face slightly with a gaussian blur and added a layer mask then chose what part of her I wanted to airbrush.
Cheap trick: Dodged her eyes to make them stand out more. I think it makes a huge difference.
Heres another one lol
I'll have to try that dodge trick cause her eyes to look really good in all those.
I like that last one you posted too. You've really got it down with your lighting. I need to practice more with my SB-600 and umbrella/stand.
I've been practicing. A LOT. For me it's def been a hit and miss process. But I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Separate names with a comma.