Glass used in the MLB?

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do baseball photographers in the MLB use? One of my friend's uncle works for the local MLB team and my fraternity brother is going to ask his uncle is I could shadow him for a game or two. I know they use long glass but not sure.

I only have two lens to my name so I was just wondering. I shoot for my colleges baseball team but I get to be close to the base line. I know the MLB baseline is at least 40yards from the fence and MLB photographers don't get to move around.

So I was just wondering what kind of glass they use.

I see a lot of 400/2.8's in use, Nikon 200-400 VR's, 500/4, 600/4, as well as shorter lenses as needed on remote cameras or closer range cameras.

Yep probably anywhere from 300-500mm really and the biggest aperture available on that length lens i'm sure.

so my 70-200 2.8 on 2x converter would be good enough for me? I don't really have the funds for what they use lol.

Why not ask if you can shoot from the home team's dugout? That's my favorite place, and from there, you get great shots of first base, the pitcher, second base/shortstop plays, and all the plays at home, and all the right-handed batters. That's a great place to use a 70-200 on a 1.5x body, with no converter needed whatsoever. You have a 50D, and since most all college baseball is played in the daytime, you can shoot at moderate ISO levels and simply use the 15 MP sensor of ther 50D to crop-in the plays in left field, center, and right field.

Alternately, you can shoot from the visiting team's dugout, if their coach will allow it. At some fields, you can shoot from a low berm that runs along the 3rd base line, over the fence, and get good shots on left-handed batters at home, 1st base, the pitcher, as well as plays at 3rd base, 2nd base, and 1st. All with a 70-200 and quality camera.

Have you looked into renting the longer lens for the date that you do this shoot?

Most reactions

Back