Going Backward???

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Strange that it seems like as I've increased my skill level with studio lighting, my natural light exposures have become increasingly harder to master. Is this common for others??? Or is it just that I'm realizing that my natural light images always needed help? LOL

Strange that it seems like as I've increased my skill level with studio lighting, my natural light exposures have become increasingly harder to master. Is this common for others??? Or is it just that I'm realizing that my natural light images always needed help? LOL

Put the beer goggles back on and double check. :aiwebs_016: :345: Or are you trying to match your "multiple" studio lighting pictures in outdoor natural light with just 1 light source???

Put the beer goggles back on and double check. :aiwebs_016: :345: Or are you trying to match your "multiple" studio lighting pictures in outdoor natural light with just 1 light source???

Well maybe - just a little bit. Lol Alk kidding aside I think the biggest issue is lack of control on natural light. It change rapidly, it's uneven (shadow vs open, clouds, etc), and with my ability to judge the light. I guess I've gotten a little lazy, by being able to control the effect

Well maybe - just a little bit. Lol Alk kidding aside I think the biggest issue is lack of control on natural light. It change rapidly, it's uneven (shadow vs open, clouds, etc), and with my ability to judge the light. I guess I've gotten a little lazy, by being able to control the effect

Sounds funny but walk around a fountain for a while and study the light as it hits the water. @Gary A. told me to do this (thought he was pulling my leg) and now I look for the light as opposed to shooting in it.

Not going backward at all; you're simply becoming more knowledgeable about and critical of light.

That's also been on my mind. I think I'm at a point where I need to learn how to transition studio lighting knowledge to natural lighting if that makes sense?

Makes perfect sense... it's a matter of training your eye to see the scene the way the camera sees it. Recognizing intuitively, that the fellow wearing the ball cap is going to have a 2 1/2 stop shadow around his eyes, that the 'A' pillar on that car is going to have a nasty blown highlight, etc, etc.

Sounds funny but walk around a fountain for a while

Not at all, I remembered to do this from this exact instruction, though with the building on one side and a street on the other, I was a little limited on views.

I would suggest there may be some personal preference involved als

True, and as I stated earlier, in studio you have so much more control, that I think I've gotten a little lazy on being observant.

Makes perfect sense... it's a matter of training your eye to see the scene the way the camera sees it. Recognizing intuitively, that the fellow wearing the ball cap is going to have a 2 1/2 stop shadow around his eyes, that the 'A' pillar on that car is going to have a nasty blown highlight, etc, etc.

And being willing to accept those things when you can't change the light or do anything about it at the time????

Sounds funny but walk around a fountain for a while

Not at all, I remembered to do this from this exact instruction, though with the building on one side and a street on the other, I was a little limited on views.

I would suggest there may be some personal preference involved als

True, and as I stated earlier, in studio you have so much more control, that I think I've gotten a little lazy on being observant.

Time to hit the nude beach for some observation project.... not found in a Hedgecoe book....

Time to hit the nude beach for some observation project.... not found in a Hedgecoe book....

There was a campground not far from us that was a "clothes optional", wife wouldn't hear of it :bouncingsmileys:

And being willing to accept those things when you can't change the light or do anything about it at the time????
That's a big part of it too!

There was a campground not far from us that was a "clothes optional", wife wouldn't hear of it :bouncingsmileys:
So, you got to go? :bek113: I am sure the clothing optional people would not mind anyone coming by that had hearing problems. :allteeth: As open as they are, I am sure they would be inclusive of others with hearing problems. :biglaugh: And for those who have spouses that "can't see" going there. :anonymous: I am sure they would be accepting of those with poor vision. :bouncingsmileys: As for those with spouses that say "no way in hell". :fangs: I am sure there are atheists there too. :biglaugh:

Last edited:
Sounds funny but walk around a fountain for a while and study the light as it hits the water. @Gary A. told me to do this (thought he was pulling my leg) and now I look for the light as opposed to shooting in it.
I used to, and still do the same thing to most every non-people/animal shot. Scary ...

Most reactions

Back