Going Digital?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by morydd, Apr 24, 2006.

1. morydd

morydd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I currently have a Canon Elan7, which I love. I also have two lenses: a Canon 28-80 and a Tamron 70-300 Tele-Macro(1:2).
    However, I don't love paying for developing. Most of what I shoot isn't worth printing. And so I find myself shooting less than I really want to for buget reasons as much as anything.
    So, I'm thinking it's time to start looking at a digital body. So, what should I look for? I'd like to keep the lenses I've got (I'm thinking I'll use the digital for most stuff and keep the film loaded with B&W most of the time for the "artsy" stuff)
    I don't plan to make my living shooting, but wouldn't mind the ability to pick up some spare cash for "friend of a friend weddings" or the like.
    What equipment should I look at and what kind of price range should I start saving for?
    Thanks for the advice.

2. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It all depends on how much you want to spend.
    If you want a cheaper option but still have fantastic results then look for a second hand Canon 300D. If you want a step above that, look for a second hand or new 350D, then a second hand 20D and then maybe a new 30D.

I think that's a pretty good look at value vs cost.

3. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    this advice sounds pretty good to me... i don't think you could go wrong with any of them... there is a 10D too...

it all just depends on how much you want to spend... there is also the 5D, and the mkII's of course... and that's just canon...

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go into a store and try out the different Canon models. The entry level one (Rebel XT) is smaller and has a more basic layout. The 20D (or new 30D) is a lot more like your ELAN 7 with the thumb wheel on the back.

5. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get the 1DS MkII lol :D

Nah, i agree with the above.. it really does depend on what you want to spend

6. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    u agree. if you shoot an elan and want to get a dSLR with a similar layout and feel, check out a 20d/30d body.