Going to start using watermarks! Very upset and disturbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gryph didn't most of those people die poor or at least only make it as modest to semi-great in their day and it was only post-mortem that they became internationally famous mega-bucks earning super-stars?
It hasn't changed much. Most of them lived acceptably. Those were the days of patronage. You were supported to be an artist by the rich.

Whats more disturbing to me is that person stole the photo of your kid or kids, thats just weird and really creepy.

I had my work stolen a few times, it's upsetting. Sorry that you had to go through with it. :(

On another note, yeah because of that I rarely post family photos online. If I do, it's private for only a few people to share and typically they're cell phone photos. Even with that, I don't share a lot of personal stuff online.

I post a lot of images online, none of mine get stolen. Time to practice. I'm a victim of my crappy self.

... I deal with image theft CONSTANTLY.
That is because you produce amazing images!

I've posted hundreds of images online and while some are pretty OK, they have never risen to the level of theft-worthy.

So, my advice is not watermarking- it's mediocrity! ;)

W
Whats more disturbing to me is that person stole the photo of your kid or kids, thats just weird and really creepy.
Reminds of a guy I knew who would buy picture frames and keep the pictures that came with them. He'd tell people they were family. He was odd.
I'll bet it was that photo of Marilyn Monroe that gave it away wasn't it?

I post a lot of images online, none of mine get stolen. Time to practice. I'm a victim of my crappy self.
I steal yours all the time.
I just don't tell you about it.
:)

I'm saddened and somewhat surprised to see so many people blame someone for posting a picture online and having someone else steal it.

We place such pride in ourselves here on the forum to quickly point out that we shouldn't post others photos; we go as far as to have moderators remove the photos within minutes in many cases. But, when a user has their own photo stolen and tells us about it, we chide them?

Shame on us.

I don't see it as chiding the OP. People are just stating that it is one of the unfortunate consequences of posting items online. It annoys me no end. I had a query on social media about purchasing a photo, and before I had a chance to message them to tell them where to buy it, someone replied to them advising them to right click and save, and then it would be free. I immediately blocked and banned the responder from my page.

It also doesn't help that there is so much misinformation about ownership of images and copyright. I was in a discussion on Facebook the other day and there was a guy that was saying that once you post a photo on Facebook, you lose any rights to it because it becomes public domain. He quoted his photography lecturer at university as saying this - I wouldn't go to that uni to study photography. So apparently not even some photography lecturers understand that when you post an image on Facebook or instagram whatever that you are giving them a royalty free license of the image, and that this doesn't change copyright or image ownership.

This confusion of the rights means that people think it's perfectly fine to steal images. They don't see any wrong in it, as they think it's in public domain and therefore free of any copyright. They don't see the difference between 'in public view' and 'in the public domain'

As far as the 'photos NOT OK to edit' that is a courtesy of this forum that is followed by the vast majority of people of this forum. It's a courtesy that is part of being in a community. I rather suspect that mods take a very dim view of this being ignored.

If you don't want your work stolen, don't post it online.
Victim blaming...

I was going to refrain from responding to this, but since the thread is still open:

I'm not blaming the OP. Let me repeat that:

I'm not blaming the OP.

You seem to infer I am. That is wrong. Period. I'm merely stating stuff happens in life.

If this is your logic, then is every accident you've ever had your fault because your mother once told you 'Always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident.'?

She never said all accidents will be your fault. She was just trying to tell you stuff happens in life.

Same principle applies here. Stuff happens. And one of those things that happens is people steal stuff off the internet. We can pass all sorts of international laws, have policies on internet forums, and discuss it and condemn it until we're blue in the face. That none of that will prevent it from happening. Internet theft started about 3 seconds after Al Gore invented it.

The only way to prevent on-line image theft (with an absolute, 100% guarantee) is to not post something on the internet. It's that simple. If you want to never have your car stolen, the only way to guarantee that is to not own a car. If you buy a car, you lose that 100% guarantee it will never be stolen. If you drive said car, you lose the 100% guarantee you'll never be in an accident.

Them's the facts.

If you don't want your work stolen, don't post it online.
Victim blaming...

I was going to refrain from responding to this, but since the thread is still open:

I'm not blaming the OP. Let me repeat that:

I'm not blaming the OP.

You seem to infer I am. That is wrong. Period. I'm merely stating stuff happens in life.

If this is your logic, then is every accident you've ever had your fault because your mother once told you 'Always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident.'?

She never said all accidents will be your fault. She was just trying to tell you stuff happens in life.

Same principle applies here. Stuff happens. And one of those things that happens is people steal stuff off the internet. We can pass all sorts of international laws, have policies on internet forums, and discuss it and condemn it until we're blue in the face. That none of that will prevent it from happening. Internet theft started about 3 seconds after Al Gore invented it.

The only way to prevent on-line image theft (with an absolute, 100% guarantee) is to not post something on the internet. It's that simple. If you want to never have your car stolen, the only way to guarantee that is to not own a car. If you buy a car, you lose that 100% guarantee it will never be stolen. If you drive said car, you lose the 100% guarantee you'll never be in an accident.

Them's the facts.
I appreciate your response, and I know "them's the facts".

Using your example, if someone steals your car, we don't go around asking, "Why did you buy a car, you knew this was a possibility?"... The typical response is, "That's sad to hear; did they catch the thief?"

I guess I have trouble with the fact that the-collective-we tended to focus on the person that got the images stolen rather than on the perpetrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back