Going to start using watermarks! Very upset and disturbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't want your work stolen, don't post it online.
Victim blaming...

I was going to refrain from responding to this, but since the thread is still open:

I'm not blaming the OP. Let me repeat that:

I'm not blaming the OP.

You seem to infer I am. That is wrong. Period. I'm merely stating stuff happens in life.

If this is your logic, then is every accident you've ever had your fault because your mother once told you 'Always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident.'?

She never said all accidents will be your fault. She was just trying to tell you stuff happens in life.

Same principle applies here. Stuff happens. And one of those things that happens is people steal stuff off the internet. We can pass all sorts of international laws, have policies on internet forums, and discuss it and condemn it until we're blue in the face. That none of that will prevent it from happening. Internet theft started about 3 seconds after Al Gore invented it.

The only way to prevent on-line image theft (with an absolute, 100% guarantee) is to not post something on the internet. It's that simple. If you want to never have your car stolen, the only way to guarantee that is to not own a car. If you buy a car, you lose that 100% guarantee it will never be stolen. If you drive said car, you lose the 100% guarantee you'll never be in an accident.

Them's the facts.
I appreciate your response, and I know "them's the facts".

Using your example, if someone steals your car, we don't go around asking, "Why did you buy a car, you knew this was a possibility?"... The typical response is, "That's sad to hear; did they catch the thief?"

I guess I have trouble with the fact that the-collective-we tended to focus on the person that got the images stolen rather than on the perpetrator.
Perhaps that is because the collective we can offer the OP some constructive advice on how to reduce the risks. The thief didn't post here with a problem, the OP did.

Perhaps that is because the collective we can offer the OP some constructive advice on how to reduce the risks. The thief didn't post here with a problem, the OP did.
Sure, we can offer some constructive advice. However, the advice to simply not post online is not constructive.

Using the car stealing analogy, would you simply tell the person to not buy another car?

Sure, we can offer some constructive advice. However, the advice to simply not post online is not constructive.

Using the car stealing analogy, would you simply tell the person to not buy another car?

But the advice actually given isn't to not post online. It's a warning of the consequences of posting online. It is infuriating and frustrating, for sure, but that's the risk for everyone, not just the OP.

There is also advice in this thread about how the OP can do things to help prevent theft, much like an alarm on a car. Skilled people will find their ways around the defences that we put in place, and we have to bear that in mind when posting.

@thereyougo!, I agree that there is some sound advice on this thread. Absolutely. Sadly, it only got there after getting pretty heated, the fault of all parties involved (except for @480sparky who was the only sane person by avoiding the discussion; a sincere thank you for being level headed and an apology on my part for sparking the discussion).

This thread doesn't need more of the same discussion, so I'm going to leave the thread, again. :)

Good luck to the OP.

I would advise them not to leave the car parked in a public place with the keys in the ignition.

I

stealing is wrong and no one suggested otherwise, but suggesting that the only real way to prevent it is to not post images publicly is not victim blaming.

next time someone posts: serves you right for posting your images online, you deserved to have them stolen, and the thief didn't do anything wrong.

then you can cry about victim blaming...
just because someone post's there photos online does not
Mean they deserve to have them stolen as the person who took the photo owns the rights to it

stealing is wrong and no one suggested otherwise, but suggesting that the only real way to prevent it is to not post images publicly is not victim blaming.

next time someone posts: serves you right for posting your images online, you deserved to have them stolen, and the thief didn't do anything wrong.

Mean they deserve to have them stolen as the person who took the photo owns the rights to it

Agreed, but I don't see anyone saying that people deserve to have their work stolen. It's something that yo have to calculate for unfortunately. People that wouldn't dream of stealing from a shop will watch a bootleg movie online. The difficulty is that most people don't see it as theft.

The value of all things artistic, be that photos, music or film is so devalued now that many people see no value in it. They don't care that the 2048px shot they right-clicked from Facebook when they try and print it looks like crap - it's FREE. Will people ever learn the real value of artistic work? I would like to think so, but I aint gonna hold my breath.

No one said don't post them on line. But people did point out the dangers of doing so. You however chose to accuse those poster for victim blaming for pointing out the dangers of the OP's current actions.

As for the car analogy, I would tell them to roll up the windows, put all valuables in the trunk or out of site until you can remove them, and lock the doors. I would also tell them to park the vehicle in their garage at home if they have one instead of leaving it out on the street and leave nothing of value in the vehicle. Simple things that a lot of people don't either know or bother to do.

Agreed, but I don't see anyone saying that people deserve to have their work stolen. It's something that yo have to calculate for unfortunately. People that wouldn't dream of stealing from a shop will watch a bootleg movie online. The difficulty is that most people don't see it as theft.

The value of all things artistic, be that photos, music or film is so devalued now that many people see no value in it. They don't care that the 2048px shot they right-clicked from Facebook when they try and print it looks like crap - it's FREE. Will people ever learn the real value of artistic work? I would like to think so, but I aint gonna hold my breath.
Look at my quote and read it he states that they deserve it
If they post it online

Ok I think enough was said in the opening days of this thread for the OP to have some idea how to take precautions. We don't need a long multi-page thread arguing about variations in interpretations of blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back