Good book

Fox Paw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For Christmas, I got a copy of John Beardsworth's "Advanced Digital Black and White Photography." It's probably the single most useful book on photography I've read, and most of what it discusses is as applicable to color as to black and white. Post-processing whizzes might not learn much from it, but those of us who are challenged in that regard may.

Among the things I learned (that most of you probably knew) was how to set the white and black points with a levels layer. Shazam, previously muddy photos looked much better. He also gets into adding local contrast via multiple curves layers and masks rather than dodging and burning. That had me re-processing a number of photos with much better results.

He apparently also has a different book called "Digital Black and White Photography." Don't know anything about that one.

He apparently also has a different book called "Digital Black and White Photography." Don't know anything about that one.

I own it. John Beardworth is a great author and photographer. It is a great book and explains everything one could want to know about B/W photography. I not sure what else is covered in the advanced version, but since the non-advanced version is so great, I don't think one could go wrong.

It's been around awhile. I picked mine up in 2005; book was published in 2004. Still, all methods are applicable today.

-Nick

this would have been great to go in the beginner forum, as it would have been a great book for beginners... you yourself may be "beyond the basics" but sounds like a great book recommendation for some of the beginners.

this would have been great to go in the beginner forum, as it would have been a great book for beginners... you yourself may be "beyond the basics" but sounds like a great book recommendation for some of the beginners.

Not sure if you are refering to my post or Fox Paw's. I was just making a comment about the book mentioned.

Either way, I don't know anything about the difference between the two, as I only own the one, yet from responses from those who are "beyond the basics" about B/W photography, this book can help. I have see some very bad advice, even from those who are professionals.

Trust me, there are many who would benefit from this book based on conversion suggestions alone.

-Nick

Not sure if you are refering to my post or Fox Paw's. I was just making a comment about the book mentioned.

Either way, I don't know anything about the difference between the two, as I only own the one, yet from responses from those who are "beyond the basics" about B/W photography, this book can help. I have see some very bad advice, even from those who are professionals.

Trust me, there are many who would benefit from this book based on conversion suggestions alone.

-Nick

i was referring to yours... the intent of my reply was to say that this sounds like a great book that many people (beginners and pros) could benefit from

i was referring to yours... the intent of my reply was to say that this sounds like a great book that many people (beginners and pros) could benefit from

Come on Chris, you know you're the best! I never thought you meant anything negative, just wasn't sure if I had explained myself.

This is a great book. Wonderful explanations on B/W, all aspects. Even if you are a professional who has shot B/W for 500 years (well, you are probably a vampire), digital is different. This is a great place to start.

It's all cool.

-Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back