Graduated Neutral Density filter

mattvillano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this filter and whether it is quality?
http://www.adorama.com/LEPND6G.html

I've been looking to buy a Grad ND filter and I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want to get a cheap one like the Cokin's which alter colors. If not this one can anyone recommend good ones or places to find them. Thanks.

Are cokins really considered cheap? I've only heard good things about them, but maybe that's only because of the convenience of using their drop-in system?

They are fine for amateur use but never use a grad with a zoom. As you extend the focal length the grad line becomes quite a sharp edge and looks really false. Grads are all designed to work with a standard lens.

walter23 said:
Are cokins really considered cheap? I've only heard good things about them, but maybe that's only because of the convenience of using their drop-in system?

All the articles and tipes I've been reading have said to stay away from the Cokin grad ND filters because they aren't actually a neutral tone, just grey. So they tend to create unwanted color casts in color film.

Sad to hear Cokin's whole line of Z-Pro and X-Pro filters all get the same bashing that the A(mateur) and P systems deserve.

The A+ P systems use a cheap dye resin which is just awful; but it isn't a problem if you're shooting black and white photography on the cheap (wot' at $5 a piece or less?!).

The Z-Pro and X-Pro system use a higher grade of resin which is neutral density proper, instead of just grey-dyed. The prices reflect the higher grade, and these are still cheaper than Lee filters. They scratch badly and often though. The drop in system is useful - even for wide-angle lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back