Graduation and Wedding Picture Taking Help!

misscrosson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was asked to take pictures for the graduates at a small local college... about 10 students in October..

I'm still just learning, but offer to do it for practice... I'm buying myself a 430 EX II flash (is this good?) ... but what type of lens should I look into buying for such portrait shots?

Also, I was asked to do a neighbours wedding next summer... I agreed, and in return they offered to buy me a new lens as payment.. the wedding will be done outdoors, and in the afternoon into the evening...

What type of lenses are good to use for outdoor wedding picture taking?

I just feel sooo lost, being a newbie still... but everyone seems to enjoy the current pictures I've been taking of my niece with my canon rebel xti with the lens it came with...

All righty then, sounds like things are moving quickly for you. I can't comment on that specific flash, but as it's a Canon, I'll assume it has to be at least half-decent. With respect to the question of lenses for the graduation (I'll assume these are portrait style), I prefer a reasonably fast, prime lens. On an APS-C sensor camera such as yours a 50mm 1.4 will do nicely, giving you the desired shallow DoF. Weddings are a whole different kettle of fish. You need fast zooms - I use the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 for almost all of my wedding work occasionally using the the 12-24 for group and special effect captures.

My suggestion for the wedding would be to have them rent you the lenses and an an extra body, and to shoot it for the experience; that way you'll have a lot more versatility, and you're going to feel less pressure since I think we can safely assume that you're not to the point where you can charge $2000+ (the cost of a 2.8 zoom) for a wedding.

In the meantime, take what you've got and practice, practice, practice!!!

Thanks! I'll look into purchasing the 50mm 1.4 ... seems to be a fair price, but ill start looking for a bargain...

I know.. the wedding im really stressing over, but its not until next summer... rent? where can you rent lenses?

I've not used this company myself, so I can't recommend them, but Lenslenders is a Canadian outfit. Henry's in Toronto I believe may rent some gear, and failing that, check your yellow pages. Many of the larger camera stores rent at least the basics.

The 430 EX II is a nice unit. It's like a baby 580 EX II. It can't act as a master to trigger a TTL slave, can't do the full 360 degrees of rotation (I think it's 270 degrees), isn't weather sealed and is less powerful than the 580. Then again, it's half the price.

After borrowing a 580 EX II I'd love one, but I'll probably buy the 430.

I not sure what to tell you about the flash.. if it were me, i would look up reviews on it. as far as the wedding.. i wouldnt accept anything. Ive done two weddings, for friends, they too offered some sort of payment, but because i was juuuust beginning and i didnt want the pressure of living up to the wedding photog expectations. in the end they liked my work and gave me payment, but accepting something in advance when you arent sure of your capabilities will definitely put the stress on. weddings are a big deal, its not something you can redo. you know what i mean? practice all you can, go to the venue when it starts getting closer and bring either them or a couple friends and figure out some good angles and lighting, pending on the ceremony time. that way you get an idea of where to stand and what angles will get you the shots you want. id personally also ask what they are wanting portrayed in there pictures.. is it a fun wedding or more romantic, that too will help you come up with ideas. :) i hope that helps you some. good luck and ill be looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Start shooting asap with the flash and new lens. You need toget comfortable with it.

Most reactions

Back