grainy pix

marko5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:cry: i am getting grainy pix with my sears 80-200 lens and ae-1 canon. i do not know much about taking pix. i have tried 400 and 800 speed film. i mostly take action shots of my kids playing sports. please help!

You'll get better and more detailed answers from others here, but my first thought would be, reduce that film speed. What kind of film are you using? If you don't like grain, always try to go for the lowest film speed you can get away with, even if you have to push it. I appreciate you're taking action shots, but that doesn't always mean you have to go for real high-speed film - especially if they're playing outdoors.

I can't speak for the lens quality, but I'm betting it has more to do with film type and speed, for starters.

Other posters should weigh in here.... :D

I agree with Terri. It's very unlikely that it has anything to do with your equipment.

Grain is mostly affected by film speed, exposure, choice of development chems, agitation during development, and temperature of dev chems.

What film are you using? I think Fuji is the best choice for high speed (ISO 400 or more) color print films.

marko5 said:
usually just kodak 400 or 800

Gaak!!! There's your problem. Kodak Gold 800 is possibly the ugliest film ever made (IMHO). If you have to shoot 800, go with Fuji.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back