Granada photos (help needed)

triggerhappy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
You may (or may not) have noticed that I haven't been around much recently. That's mainly because I have been really struggling to express myself photographically over the last few months. Everything I've been taking seems to be dull and uninteresting. This has lead to me getting really frustrated with with the whole subject.

Anyway, last week I was on holiday in Granada, which was an excellent opportunity to take a fresh aproach and to explore some new ideas. I took absolutely loads of photos and have just started to go through them. Below are some photos which, I think, sum up the direction I would like my photography to develop.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on these. If possible, I would appreciate any comments you have on the general style and feel of the photos.

Thanks in advance,

Trig

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

So I take it that you want to go to "simple and effective"?
If so, then the first of these for is definitely right. And so is the second. The only annoying element is not the person in the window but whatever there is below the window (horizontal bar). I like those two very much.

The third, black+white cathedral photo is good in its own way. The two persons make obvious how huge these columns are. I think I've been to that cathedral, too, but that would then be more than 20 years ago. (My photos from that time are horrible, just horrible - well, most).

The last one makes me think of Anua immediately, I don't know, why. I would call this an "Anua-approach" to simple things. The simplicity has come back, although the smudges on the wall take away from the very simple composition of the first two. This one has a lot of atmosphere, though.

Will you show us more than these four? I hope so!

If this series is any indication it seems your struggleing has paided of.

I like the subtle color and tones in the first shot.

The color is great in the second shot but the rest doesn't do much for me. I think it could benifit from a different crop.

I like the third a lot the bright shaft of light draws my eye towards the people which show the immense scale very well. It might be a little crooked or maybe the perspective is distorted a little from a wide lens, either way a little PS would fix it right up but it's not that noticable.

The last is definately my favorite, the color and texture are awsome.

very nice work, what ever your doing keep doing it :thumbup:

That's mainly because I have been really struggling to express myself photographically over the last few months. Everything I've been taking seems to be dull and uninteresting. This has lead to me getting really frustrated with with the whole subject.[/

I know this feelling well.

Partly why I dropped out of photography a number of years and just shot football games ..... no thought requred ... and the specifications are diffrent ... must have a Ball .. a player and be able to name him ... thats about the size of it ...... a goal if you're lucky.

Your shots are great ..... you've looked at the place and it's given you a new lease of photographic life.

Congrats ..........

Thanks to all those have replied to my pictures ..... I am just using a compact digital at the moment ..... it does ok ...

You have all inspired me and I hope I can knock out a few ........

again great pics trigger !

definitely it is something different from what I used to see in your works. I really enjoy th first piture. And I think that what you did is very important... I mean to sum up all your previous experience and try to achieve more... :)

These are really excellent. The one with the columns looks like giant chess peices. Very Alice in Wonderland.
Actually I think there is something very alice in wonderland-y about all of these shots, especially the last two. That sort of "I understand what I'm looking at but it just doesn't make sense" feeling. I think they're great!

It's great to see that you're making an effort to recapture your love for photography - I know how you feel about sometimes having lapses of inspiration! I've only been taking pictures for about six months, so photography is still really fresh for me, but I'm now into my fourth year of skating and there have definitely been times when I've felt completely unmoved by it, only to take a break and come back at it from a different angle.

What you've done here is really impressive. The first shot blew me away, I literally can't fault it. The second also has a good feel to it, although I agree with the pursuer that you should experiment with some different crops, and maybe even a bit of PS to bring out the interesting shape that the light and shadow are making.

#3 I think has potential, but nothing about it immediately grabs my attention. I think it'd be better either without the people, or with perhaps a single person in a more engaging position to maintain the sense of scale.

#4 really makes me want to know what's through the door, so I guess it's done its job. I would have gone a bit further back if possible; for example, you could have used the converging lines of the corridor which I'm assuming is behind you to draw the eye more effectively into the photo.

Either way, this is great work. If it means more photos like #1 for me to ogle, then here's hoping that you're successful in rediscovering your photographic muse.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give such detailed replies - it really is appreciated :)

La Foto - I know what you mean about that horizontal bar. I swing between liking it being there for some reason and deciding that it spoils the composition. pursuer suggested a different crop, so I'll give that a try

As for the cathedral, this is the only half decent photo I got from there. For such an impressive building, it was very difficulty to find any good photo opportunities. Perhaps you were having the same difficulty as me?

pursuer/mal - thanks for your suggestions for crops/PS work. I'll give it a go.

mentos - you are right, they are a very different sort to my usual landscape afairs. No doubt I'll be back to the bad old days soon enough though ;) :D

meysha - thank you, you're 'Alice in Wonderland' description sums up what I was trying to express but couldn't quite find the words. :) Its also interestsing that you mention the giant chess pieces - i hadn't seen that one at all. Actually, that got me thinking of a totally different interpretation. They also look like people in a giant's house, where the pillars are table legs.

Lensmeister - thanks for the encouragement.

mal - thank you for your suggestions & comments.

Thanks again to everyone - :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back