Grandfather Mountain

Dan28607

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. Do you guys think the sun is way too blown out in this shot. This is Grandfather Mtn. taken from my back porch. Thanks!

grfthrmtn.jpg

I'm not sure if it is or not. It's one of those kinds of shots that if you don't mention it and say that's what you were going for, it looks great! I especially like the black leaves along the top.

Maybe try bracketing next time so then you can choose the best one you like!

But stunning picture. Good job.

OooooooooooOoooo.... very very nice. it almost looks like selective coloring, but it's brilliant!

I like it ... mostly so the colouring of the clouds and the silhouetted tree branch and moutain.
The sun is already getting very white, that much is true, but you could not have exposed even less or you'd have lost all the dark parts of your photo.

Thanks guys! Ive taken this shot 1000 times. Sometimes they turn out good sometimes not so much.

Personalized Stamp said:
Is this a sunrise or sunset?
Looks great to me.

Its a sunset. Thanks again!

It must be great to have that in your back yard and you get those 1000 shots and I'm sure EVERY single one of them is different in some way.

Incredible shot

~Michael~

i think it is not too blown out...
recently i really investigated what my vision is like ... and with my own eyes in extreme light conditions parts of the sky can be blown out! So haviong part of an image blown out CAN be a realistic representation of what our eyes see.

of course cameras are more prone to this, but it happens with eyes too

there's no arguing that it is blown out, but the deciding factor on this picture is how it works as a whole. Personally I think that part being blown out adds some dynamics to the insanely shadowy foreground. Add in a wonderful landscape and some brooding clouds and you have a keeper:thumbup:

Let me start of by saying Gorgeous image. it is a little blown out though. For my taste I would have liked to seen a little crisper edges on the mountian near the sun. I dont mind the clouds disapearing at all. If your good with photoshop you could go in and fix up the edges on the mountian fairly easily. But its really all just taste. If you like it that way leave it.

iflynething said:
what does blown out mean?

~Michael~

the highlights are overexposed, thus no detail is shown/recorded and it's almost impossible to recover any detail, even with post processing.

in this particular image... the sun is blowing out the areas around it. it's overexposed... it's the sun... it's kinda hard w/o some serious filters to not blow out a direct shot of the sun... but in doing so, it also loses some detail in the clouds that are in that area, as well as perhaps any color the sun might have had otherwise (rather then just white)

as mentioned before, some people feel that this works in this image and doesn't detract from it. most times overexposd highlights detract from the image a great deal.

a more common occurence that you might have seen is if you take a picture on a bright day. the subject (person, car, field of flowers) are vivid and sharp in colors and focus, the sky will often be just a white mess. that white mess is overexposed or "blown out"

Most reactions

Back