Graphics tablets, tell me about them

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a primer on graphics tablets, My son wants one and is going to study architechture and while he needs one I could stand to get one also.

pro's and cons...what to look for...your suggestions

I figure I can reduce the research with all of your collected knowledge here:D

The industry standard are the Wacom tablets but they don't come cheap. Depending on what size you want they range from £50 right up to £400. Professional's use the Intuos range up to A3 size but joe public might use the A6 size Bamboo or fun range. Most of the Wacom range have a series of programmable buttons and a touch zoom wheel (think of ipods). All include a pen with the tablet but the more expensive ones allow for different type and shapes of nib. Most also allow for pen tilt and are pressure sensitive depending on what type of software you are using.

They take a while to get used to but once you have you'll wonder how you ever did without one. I have a small A6 Bamboo and use it for retouching, you get more control with the pen than a mouse. My advice is decide on a budget and the space you have available then get to your nearet stockist and try them out.

They can be typically found hanging in bamboo trees from their long tails waiting for unsuspecting passers by. They have 3 eyes and a beak for defending themselves. They feed mainly on mice. For some reason they answer to the name of bob.

Even the cheap ones are great, but as mentioned the difference does matter. I have a Waccom Graphire 3 6x8 and no longer use my mouse for anything other than gaming. I have successfully displaced my RSI in my wrists with a tennis elbow.

Btw Waccom typically work with educational institutions for student discounts. I got mine at the time for about a 50% discount on RRP from my university.

Another vote for Wacom. I've got a small Graphire that I like but I wish I had a bigger one.

I've got a cheap Trust 8x6" tablet and I love it! There is a slight learning curve if you've been using a mouse (which i assume you have :lol:) for a long time.

I never use my mouse now, the graphics tablet is so intuitive really. The pen I have uses one AAA battery and lasts a long time. My old wireless mouse ate batteries for breakfast, had to change them every couple of days!!

Using a Bamboo, but still not sure how I ever edited photos without one. besides photoshop, and spyder calibration, it's the most important thing you can get for your computer to make the images better. IMHO

I JUST got an Intuos3 6"x8" tablet as an early present that I requested for my research ... using the pen to draw with my dominant hand instead of a mouse with my non-dominant hand is wonderful, and my wrists are no longer sore after a day's work.

I thought the size would be too small at 6"x8", but I think it works fine and I'm not actually sure I'd want a larger size due to the speed of the tracking.

As far as graphics tablets go, would it be worth the investment to get one that physically displays the work on the tablet as opposed to one that displays work only on the monitor?

It depends on how mich you want to spend.
The basic style (No Display) have been around for years and work great, as well they are not that expensive.
On the other hand the new display versions are very cool, but ultimatly do the exact same thing and cost at least 4 times as much for an inexpensive one. The high end version can run almost 2 grand.

Most reactions

Back