Grass is greener on the other side

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently a good friend of mine switched from Canon to the Fuji X series. I never though I'd say this but I'm really envious of the results i am seeing.

I have a nice Nikon system but part of me is toying with the idea of the new XT1 and that gorgeous 56mm f/1,2 portrait lens.

Going on Vacation in April and I'm somewhat dreading lugging the ol D810 through museums and touristy places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can understand where you are coming from. Maybe you should ask your friend if you could borrow his/her XT1 and try it out for a day or two to see.

I shoot Canon but from everything I've seen and read, I would have a hard time getting rid of a D810, but that is just me.

Good luck with it and let us know what you do. (with photos.)

The D810 is a lovely camera and I adore it for commercial work (not quite at the medium format level of work yet) but for most of my daily clients, a 16mp would suffice. On vacation the X series would be so nice. I've found myself past the point of needing to drag a ton of gear and the mantra lighter is better rules the roost.

I switched from Canon FF (5DmkII) to Fuji X 1 year and 3 months ago. No regrets. I consider my Fuji XE-2 the hands down superior camera for still photography (Fuji glass kicks butt). CAVEAT: I haven't so much as shot 10 seconds of video in my life and I don't shoot fast action. You couldn't get me to switch back to a DSLR if you gave it to me.

Joe

P.S. Caution: Adobe has a problem demosaicing Fuji X-Trans raw files. If you're a committed LR user and shoot raw you need to investigate that issue before pursuing this any further.

I'm not about to fully switch but I'm seriously considering getting a system for small jobs and travel. Good to be able to pack light and yet shoot salable images should the opportunity avail itself
Thanks for the LR heads up

A full system dSLR definitely has its' place but, dragging it around on vacation isn't my idea of fun at all. I got a Sony a6000 a few weeks ago and I am slowly falling in love with it.

It's a funny reversal where Newbies ask Canon or Nikon and the pros are pondering µ43rd or X-system or E-mount.

It's a funny reversal where Newbies ask Canon or Nikon and the pros are pondering µ43rd or X-system or E-mount.
It's because the smaller stuff is getting so much better.

Perfect is the enemy of good - Voltaire

if you dont enjoy your camera and want to have it with you then what good is it?

A full system dSLR definitely has its' place but, dragging it around on vacation isn't my idea of fun at all. I got a Sony a6000 a few weeks ago and I am slowly falling in love with it.
If I would to invest in mirrorless I would seriously consider Sony, I love their spirit of innovation and amazing sensors, I do wish they will get more serious with their lenses.
The Fuji is a nice system, its amazingly designed much better then any Sony camera and they have a slightly better lenses offering then Sony but they are stuck with crop sensor bodies which I think is very limiting.
Also their AF isnt as good as Sony's a6000
Of course the biggest kicker is the price, the a6000 is so much cheaper and I dont think Fuji X-T1 is worth the extra money.
Bottom line putting the poor lenses offering a side I think the a6000 is the best mirrorless camera for the money in the market today and I know 2 seriously reviewers who chose it as their 2014 camera of the years and the rest just love this camera calling its sensor the best crop sensor in the market.
Me personally cant see myself going back to crop sensor, since I moved to FF I feel its so much more liberating, yes everything is bigger but man its so much flexible which leads to a much nicer and cleaner results.

Recently a good friend of mine switched from Canon to the Fuji X series. I never though I'd say this but I'm really envious of the results i am seeing.

I have a nice Nikon system but part of me is toying with the idea of the new XT1 and that gorgeous 56mm f/1,2 portrait lens.

Going on Vacation in April and I'm somewhat dreading lugging the ol D810 through museums and touristy places.

I agree. Get an X-E1, not the monster Nikon. But if you demand the highest res pix, then you must carry the Nikon behemoth. After all the 810 users put their pride in pixel peeping.

But unfortunately for me I carry 3 Leicas that are very heavy. (All in a backpack) I also carry a Fuji with me on trip.The Fuji has screwy controls that makes it tough to use. If it was a true Leica knockoff i would dump the Leicas. Maybe someday Leica will put a 810 sensor in it.

It's because the smaller stuff is getting so much better.

It's also typically because the "pros" are pondering a second system to compliment the DSLR setup. DSLRs are fantastic, but they are also bigger and bulkier - even crop sensor and especially if you want to use good glass in front of the camera.

So these smaller format setups are ideal - they present the same quality, controls and features of a DSLR, but in a package smaller and more suitable for mobile and family shooting where its taking on a size more akin to the point and shoot and bridge camera markets.

It's an ideal market niche for photographers who often find they leave the DSLR at home when not going out on a "photo trip" because it just gets lugged around and doesn't do much - ergo they just can't happy-snap. Slip a smaller camera into their hands and they can happy snap away and stow the camera away easily and without it being a bulk or heavy thing.

It's easy to move away from FF. I've had a D700 for many years but on vacation i invariably shoot with my little LX5. I'm starting to shoot for stock on the side too so I want the ability to have my vacation and get usable images.
Sony has great bodies but have always been weak with lenses. Olympus seems to have the best range of lenses and Panasonic the Best small bodies.

I'm seeing more and more of my professional friends switch to Fuji.

Most reactions

Back