Hangglider

rsilfverberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pbase.com
I just returned back to the site after a few weeks after having been consumed by work.

I noticed that the thread about my other photo 'My Dog - Reflections' had been locked so my appologies for posting my reply to that thread here instead.

Now, the photo was posted in a critique forumm, as someone also pointed out, and what I was looking for was just that - critique. Thanks to Daniel for his indepth description of what he meant about the lines in the photo that I missed. Now - I must admit that I keep 'seeing' those lines when I look at the photo and it has somewhat changed my opinion about the image. But - that's a good thing. I have a tendency to become a bit 'blind' to my own photos.

So - thanks to ALL for the comments and suggestions posted to that photo. I think all critique is good and quite honestly I rather have ONE negative comment - with constructive critique - than 20 'Great shot!', etc.

Also - thanks for voting for my photo 'One came sailing by' that won the May photo competition.

That photo was taken in 1999-2000 with a Canon camera on Alcatraz island. I remember cursing and waiting for that sailboat to sail into the right spot :)

Anyway thought I'd post another photo for critique.

This one has somewhat of a 'nostalgic' value to me - as it's from the very first roll that I put through my Hasselblad 500C/M almost 2 years ago now.

I took the camera out to Fort Funston here in San Francisco and wanted to see how well this big, manual, slow camera would do at 'action photography'. It may not look like it but these hanggliders swoop by pretty fast and the lens was an 80mm (which is equal to 50mm in 35mm) so I was pretty close to them as well :)

I wanted to combine a bit of the natural beatuty out there, the light and the added element of the hangglider.

Film was T-Max 400 and I used a yellow-orange filter.

15975486.jpg

its simply beautiful.. i love your work with the rule of thirds and the exposure is real good. i think i've seen that shot somewhere, but i can't put my finger on it. to take a wild guess, maybe i saw that shot at west portal during an art faire. i don't remember but i do remember seeing it.

by the way, are you from san francisco?

Thanks for commenting.

a) I doubt it would have been at an art fair - don't think I could find anyone that would actually PAY me for my photos! :)

b) Born and bred in Europe but been in San Francisco for, hm, almost 3 years now.

Wonderful. The only thing I don't like is the digital edges, but since I'm a film-geek, that's just my flavor.

very nice matie, this is a gorgeous exposure. Its interesting how the lower right corner is slightly under exposed with the sun seemingly shining directly on it from the opposite corner.

anyways, the waves are gorgeous, just lurvely. I would have thought this was digital if you hadn't mentioned the hasselblad. Do you develop your own prints?

thanks for sharing your pics, i just noticed to the dog print too, but it was locked before i could comment :)

Very nice! The water scene completes it you know? Because if it was just the guy in the sky I wouldn't like it would think it sucked potatoes.

This is a very nice shot indeed. Perhaps a bit too underexposed in the bottom left but I can deal with that. One thing that bugs me a little is the glider is in the vertical middle of the picture leaving a lot of clouds above. I think I would like it better if the top was cropped to that the glider was 1/3 down from the top. Just playing with it on the screen that really seems to add more to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back