Has photography changed you?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by keith204, Dec 12, 2008.

1. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I started getting into people portraits a couple of months ago, and in particular - that has dramatically changed the way I communicate and interact with others.

On a personal level, I can interact with the kids at family gatherings so much better. Working with kids in my little studio in the past couple months has taught me to relax and just hang out, try to make an instant friend.

On a business level, it has taught me how to communicate better with clients. I'm a software developer, and when representing my company to a multi-billion-dollar insurance carrier, who has a multi-million-dollar contract with us, the pressure is on. Photography has taught me to think fast, know my stuff, and don't ever let the clients think I don't know what I'm doing.

On a physical level, I lost 40 lbs between July and September, and have kept it off since then, and even lost a little more. My encouragement is from the town's main photographer - I like his work, and his style - he always looks professional. So I stopped all the fast food crap I ate, actually paid attention to nutrition tables and started eating vegetables. I can move around a heck of a lot better than I could before, which is plenty of reason to ban any place that can sell a cheeseburger for a dollar.

Photography's been good to me, and that's why I try to keep it up. Has photography influenced your lifestyle/personality?

2. kanmai

kanmai TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photography makes me happy overall...:lol:

3. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well... in my field, I am in a constant state of one high-stress situation after another. People always want answers from me and they want them NOW. Photography is a less physical way that I can de-stress compared to my martial arts.

I call photography "my moment to regain balance and restore some modicum of sanity"... lol.

It doesn't frustrate me too much, and makes me a lot happier on many levels.

It is also a heck of a way to preserve some very precious memories of loved ones.

Has it changed me? Yes, a lot. I have a lot more pleasure in my life thanks to it. How could that not change anyone? :D

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No, but then I have always been a photographer.

skieur

5. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since taking it up again in the last two years I find myself seeing opportunnity everywhere. Sometimes I must be a pain to others when I stop to catch a shot. I deffinately look at people differently and notice lighting more. I know I really interact with people on adifferent level now too. So has it changed me? I'd say yeah.

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I have been in photography and the arts since day one. Hard to remember how it has changed me. I can say that it made me think creatively. That was an amazing change. Made me a better person to say the least.

Love & Bass

7. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm... How can you be sure that the new-you wasn't packaged with the Ego-Module included with the 5D Mk II..??
    I'd be swaggering too, if'n I had one of those hanging off my neck...
    And - Ye Gods..! - The 5D Mk II is the new dietary revolution too...
    40 pounds in 3 months...!!!
    Just gotta tell my Wife this... She will buy me one Tomorrow...
    Hell - If owning a 5D Mk II makes me eat vegetables - I'll buy the grandkids one each too...
    Just think what the 5D Mk III could do...??
    Jedo

8. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, you must be VERY old to have been there since day one when cameras were invented.... :mrgreen:

Has photography changed me? Sure has. I'm a guy who puts his camera in manual mode and sets the settings himself now as opposed to a guy who uses his camera in automatic mode. :wink:

9. Saddlebreds4me

Saddlebreds4me TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. It has changed me.

Sorry, this might sound a little goofy but...I think I've found what I would define as my "spirituality" - not being really of any religious and/or spiritual persuasion, I find that I completely lose myself when I am with the horses. In general - riding, grooming et, al but photographing them takes me to a deeper level. My self awareness kind of disappears and all that matters is how I translate what I am seeing and feeling through the lens and onto paper.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense - but it gives me a sense of peace I guess.

The funny thing is that I've really only admitted that to myself and I have had 3 different people come to me and tell me I really "capture the feeling and relationship" between horse and rider - or just the horse, if that is all I am shooting.

I absolutely love it (and still can't believe people are willing to pay me for it!)

Great thread by the way!!

10. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Anything that you devote yourself to will change you. I notice things more now. I am constantly looking for good compositions and interesting scenes. It has changed me.

11. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh almost forgot it has changed the amount of money in my checking account...

12. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Man, you can get a cheeseburger for a dollar? if they were that cheap id buy a lot of them.