Hello!

...any suggestions, besides cropping to take the focus off the stuff in the BG...?

Forget about the on-camera flash!
Read the manual and learn how to change settings manually more than by choosing a programme mode such as the one you used here, what was it called again? "Kids and Pets" mode.
It is a Powershot you have?
That truly powerful little compact camera has so many more options, find out how to use them.
And then try to work with available light, also indoors. Put Evan next to a window and use that light, open up the aperture to blur out the background more.
Only move the camera as close as the lens can manage, so you won't get an out-of-focus close-up photo of the face (such as in Photo 1) - for close-ups the Powershot that I have offers the "Flower"-mode (there actually is a little flower icon on its back and I push that button and can go "macro", as it were).

One important thing has been said: pay close attention to your backgrounds. If necessary, go tidy up your background beforehand and remove anything from there that is distracting.
And really do try to forget about the flash.

whoa sweet! I've been here for twenty six years. PM me so we dont make anybody mad talking about personal stuff hahahahahah. maybe we can start a business of new born baby photos, After my brother has paid thousands for his, I've had an itch to start my own :wink:

Forget about the on-camera flash!
Read the manual and learn how to change settings manually more than by choosing a programme mode such as the one you used here, what was it called again? "Kids and Pets" mode.
It is a Powershot you have?
That truly powerful little compact camera has so many more options, find out how to use them.
And then try to work with available light, also indoors. Put Evan next to a window and use that light, open up the aperture to blur out the background more.
Only move the camera as close as the lens can manage, so you won't get an out-of-focus close-up photo of the face (such as in Photo 1) - for close-ups the Powershot that I have offers the "Flower"-mode (there actually is a little flower icon on its back and I push that button and can go "macro", as it were).

One important thing has been said: pay close attention to your backgrounds. If necessary, go tidy up your background beforehand and remove anything from there that is distracting.
And really do try to forget about the flash.
Thank you! I originally bought the camera just to capture the little moments, ya know? Then I realized what I could do with it and now here I am.

I really need to get the manual out and read up. I had no idea what the flower mode meant LOL. Thanks for that little advice.

Some of the pictures you posted look like you took them out the window of a moving car. I think with the senics (and it does look like you have potential for great senics) you need to take your time and really try to compose your pictures right. I think some of the baby pics are nice but are a little over exposed (cute baby though) some post processing might help as well. I do agree with the list that was posted especially the part about shooting alot also shoot what you love no senic picture is going to turn out great if you don't want to shoot it. Lastly just hafe fun with it all.

Oh, and if you're in the Denver MEtro Area, there's bound to be dozens of good classes nearby. Have fun.

Hey there. Don't have any advice really since I'm kind of new at it too, but just wanted to say you have a little cutie there who should provide LOTS of adorable picture taking opportunities!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back