help finding out what camera this is

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by nrois02, Jul 3, 2009.

1. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    V System

i see these cameras but dont know what they are good for. they kept mentioning medium camera? what are these good for?

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are good for taking photos...what's not to know?

This type of camera is often refered to as 'Medium Format' because they use film that is larger than 35mm film (but not as large as 'Large Format' cameras).

Hasselblad is a top quality camera/lens maker. This type of camera might be best suited for studio or fine art photography.

4. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok thanks very much! is this tyoe of film easy to develope or get developed?

5. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    NO!. lol well brain surgery is easy to a brain surgeon. j/k You can send it off to be developed. It is not a one hour photo lab kind of film.

6. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    damn.... i wish i had 44 grand to blow on a camera =/ hasselblads are so nice... i mite get one of the film ones of keh for cheap... digital will go on my to get list

7. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why? I got mine for weddings because in my area, back then, nobody would take you seriously if you showed up for a wedding with 35mm equipment. Everyone there had a lens at least as big as yours :lmao:

I ended up doing a lot more with it because you can do any type of photography with it. Even knew a guy who had one for his family snapshots. Whatever.

No harder to process than any other film. Did all my B&W work myself (35mm, medium and large format) but sent out all the color work. For Kodachrome you had to and, the only color negative work I did was weddings which, honestly, was much easier to send to a lab.

Color darkrooms were a lot more expensive to set up than B&W ones and you had to have serious temperature control. Not worth it to me for wedding pictures.

Seriously thinking about getting a 500 C/M again. I absolutely loved the square format.

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Back then...sure, this could be a pro's work horse camera....could be even today. And of course you can use just about any camera for just about any type of shooting. But these days, the people most likely to buy (not already have) a medium format camera, are photographers who probably have the luxury of taking their time and maximizing quality over quantity....or something like that. ;)

9. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry about the back then... I'm an older guy :lmao:

To be honest, with digital, I don't quite see the point of medium format. Now, I am fairly new to digital and I've been out of commercial work for some time so that I may be totally wrong.

When I think about getting another Hasselblad, I'm thinking film. However, there is one big problem with that. I went to buy a couple rolls of film yesterday to test my 35mm equipment before I try and sell it. Decided on 100 speed slide. They only had one roll so I asked what they had in negative. They still had only one roll of two (I think) different speeds. Why?

"Well, we don't sell any so we only order one roll at a time..."

How long before it becomes a major hassle to get film if you don't live in some big (and I mean NYC big) city? And, how long before everybody stops making film altogether? :(

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's the sad truth. Did you know that Kodachrome just bit the bullet?

In my city (close to 1,000,000 people in the general area) there isn't a single lab doing commercial B&W development anymore.

There are still several pros (or rich hobbiests) shooting MF...but many of them are shooting MF digital...30, 40, 50 megapixels. Those cameras cost more than a well equipped family sedan.

11. HeY iTs ScOTtY

HeY iTs ScOTtY TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah i use to work for kodak and they cut a lot of people a few years ago. an i mean A LOT!

12. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    No reason why you (or anyone) with a bit of saved up cash can't own a hassy. The system linked is an evolution on a system that has been around for decades. Older bodies are obtainable with excellent lenses.