HELP! how to eliminate a lens shadow with flash

littlewang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i just recently got a new lens and it comes out pretty far. and so whenever i take a picture with flash on, the lens casts a shadow on the subject. can anyone help me figure out how to not let that happen?? thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

A little more information would be helpfull...what camera/lens/flash are you using?...however, some lens/flash combinations just don't work. The lens barrel blocks the flash.

The best option would be to get an accessory flash if your camera has a hot-shoe.

oh i'm sorry. i'm using a nikon n75, with a fisheye adapter, and the flash is the one that is part of the camera that pops up. here's an example of what happend:

fisheye01.jpg

i can't really figure it out if it's b/c it's too close or maybe it's just the flash all together and maybe i just can't use the flash when i have the lens on. b/c i took some other close ups with no flash in the outdoors and there was no shadow. or maybe i should hold the camera at a certain angle?

Any big lens will block the pop-up flash, and the fish-eye adapter is adding length to your lens. You need to get the flash away from the camera. Possibly a flash in the hot shoe would be enough, but with your fish-eye adapter you may need to use a cable to get the flash way off to the side.

You could also bounce the flash off of the ceiling of wall.

Yeah, you need a much higher mounted flash. The built-in flash really is intended to be used as a fill flash and usually on with your standard small zoom i.e. 28-70, 35-80.

man that's sad. :( even if my subject is far it will have the shadow??

can ya'll reccommend me some flashes so i can get an idea of which kinds to look into?

hmmm interesting thanks. i kinda wanna go for a cheap one though. so like any flash that mounts on to the top will get rid of my shadow for sure right?

If you want a flash that will use some of the fancy TTL options, a Nikon flash would be the way to go...but if you just want a flash to go on top of your camera then there are lots of other companies that make them. They can be had for a good price too.

Sunpak, Vivtar etc. Check out a used camera shop if you can...they usually have lots of old flash units.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back