Help me choose a camera with my requirements

camguyh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! So far I had a Nikon D3400, which shoots pretty good quality, and I have some pictures with it. However I've noticed that I want to take pictures just when I am out and about, without the goal to take pictures in mind - that's when I noticed the most beautiful pictures. And I do not, often cannot, and do not even want to carry a big bulky camera with me everywhere, so I have missed around 90% of the pictures, and that makes me feel rather bad.

I also absolutely do not approve taking pictures with a smartphone, therefore - I need to find a solution, some sort of a camera. Keep in mind that my budget is as much as I could sell the used Nikon (with the lens) for + maybe 100 euros extra (I live in Sweden). I am young and do not have an income yet.

I would like it to have at least as good quality pictures as the Nikon, both in daylight and nightlight. And since the feeling of the camera is very important to me, I would like it to not feel like a cheap plastic camera. I just would not want to even touch it then.

The lens of my Nikon is 55mm, and I would prefer something a bit higher than that, but that's absolutely not necessary. I just do not like fisheye lenses though.

Please ask ANYTHING if that will help you to help me!! Thanks!

That's a pretty large order to fill. As the D3400 is not that large of a camera. It sounds you need to look into mirrorless cameras.

Maybe a used Sony A5000 or A5100 would be in your price range. The A5100 would be just about the same performance as your D3400. But smaller package that would still allow you to change lenses.

If your looking for smaller, your probably looking to go to a pocket Point and Shoot digital camera. Many options here for your price level from Canon Powershot line, Nikon Coolpix line, Panasonic Lumix line, Olympus has some good small ones as well.

Out of curiosity, why do you not approve of taking pictures with a smartphone?

Having said (or asked) that, I thought everybody walked around with a bulky camera on them! ;)

That's a pretty large order to fill. As the D3400 is not that large of a camera. It sounds you need to look into mirrorless cameras.

Maybe a used Sony A5000 or A5100 would be in your price range. The A5100 would be just about the same performance as your D3400. But smaller package that would still allow you to change lenses.

If your looking for smaller, your probably looking to go to a pocket Point and Shoot digital camera. Many options here for your price level from Canon Powershot line, Nikon Coolpix line, Panasonic Lumix line, Olympus has some good small ones as well.

Yes, I was thinking of something mirrorless, something I could have in my pocket, but that isn't so small that it doesn't even like a camera anymore. The problem with my Nikon is that I have to carry around some kind of a bag in addition to the camera, or it on a strap, which I don't like. I never carry any bags with me, unless I'm going shopping, and then I'm evidently (and unfortunately..) not going to fiddle around to get it out.

I like the Sony A5100, but it doesn't have a viewfinder. I do not like looking at a screen (I know that mirrorless viewfinder is technically a screen still, but it's fine, hah), I MUCH prefer looking through a viewfinder. However, if there is no other good option, I will have to go with that one and try it, if not, I can always just resell it. I am very careful and protective of my equipment.

Please let me know if there is a similarly good option with a viewfinder instead. :)

Out of curiosity, why do you not approve of taking pictures with a smartphone?

Having said (or asked) that, I thought everybody walked around with a bulky camera on them! ;)

Haha, Yeah, people tell me to take pictures and just post it on Instagram or something like that. I don't approve it because it doesn't feel right for me to do so. I do it sometimes, but I cringe every time I do it, haha.

Olympus OMD EM10 II is clearing out right now really cheap.

Olympus OMD EM10 II is clearing out right now really cheap.
That looks like a really nice camera, from my quick research, actually! Can you share where you saw it being really cheap at this time though? So far I've only found it for more than twice the price of my Nikon.

Found one place, but they are out of stock. Other places, it costs a lot more than there. If it'll become available, I'll get notified and grab it, unless someone will suggest something better. If it won't become available before the discount ends, then I'll need another option. Thanks!

Ask them to price match
It's one out of around 15 mass-sale companies who has 40% discount. I don't think any of the other ~15 companies are going to sell me a camera with a discount just because one company is selling it discounted, heh. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I own Nikon D3300 and I have owned a MFT (micro four thirds) camera (all Olympus and Panasonic cameras have MFT sensor in them) and I would like to give you my opinion before you are running to buy a MFT camera.
The sensor on these cameras is smaller then the APS-C size in your D3400
The low light performance is really not impressive on the MFT camera, worst is the drop in dynamic range.
I was so disappointed I sold my MFT camera and got a Sony A6300 which has an APS-C sensor in it and was actually smaller then my MFT camera.
Mind you the sensor in the D3400 is actually one of the BEST APS-C sensor in the market today, it has excellent low light performance and even better very impressive dynamic range so don't expect to get the same quality of picture from a MFT as you are getting from your D3400.
The only camera that will give you about same performance as the D3400 in smaller package will be the Sony a6000, it has all the features you want and price is close to your pocket ability.

Just my 2c

I own Nikon D3300 and I have owned a MFT (micro four thirds) camera (all Olympus and Panasonic cameras have MFT sensor in them) and I would like to give you my opinion before you are running to buy a MFT camera.
The low light performance is really not impressive on the MFT camera, worst is the drop in dynamic range.
I was so disappointed I sold my MFT camera and got a Sony A6300 which has an APS-C sensor in it and was actually smaller then my MFT camera.
Mind you the sensor in the D3400 is actually one of the BEST APS-C sensor in the market today, it has excellent low light performance and even better very impressive dynamic range so don't expect to get the same quality of picture from a MFT as you are getting from your D3400.
The only camera that will give you about same performance as the D3400 in smaller package will be the Sony a6000, it has all the features you want and price is close to your pocket ability.

Just my 2c
I am about to go to sleep (I'm still awake because I couldn't fall asleep for awhile, it's 4am in Sweden), but it does seem like a lovely camera. I also took a quick look at the aforementioned E‑M10 Mark II from Olympus, and if we compare A6000 (not A6300), Sony is actually even slightly cheaper. From the quick look that I took, A6000 isn't much different from A6300, so maybe that would be an option for me instead? I mean, it still is over my budget, but if I really can't get what I need, there is no other option but to wait until I can afford it. Since you VERY clearly know a lot more than me about how cameras work from the... Hardware point of view, perhaps you could advise me, or perhaps others could pitch in as well?

It's very good that you mentioned performance in the dark - that is actually very important for me as well, as in Sweden it's dark almost all day for a few months, and I usually take walks in the dark more often than in the light anyway.

Off to sleep now!

Just my 2c
I am about to go to sleep (I'm still awake because I couldn't fall asleep for awhile, it's 4am in Sweden), but it does seem like a lovely camera. I also took a quick look at the aforementioned E‑M10 Mark II from Olympus, and if we compare A6000 (not A6300), Sony is actually even slightly cheaper. From the quick look that I took, A6000 isn't much different from A6300, so maybe that would be an option for me instead? I mean, it still is over my budget, but if I really can't get what I need, there is no other option but to wait until I can afford it. Since you VERY clearly know a lot more than me about how cameras work from the... Hardware point of view, perhaps you could advise me, or perhaps others could pitch in as well?

It's very good that you mentioned performance in the dark - that is actually very important for me as well, as in Sweden it's dark almost all day for a few months, and I usually take walks in the dark more often than in the light anyway.

Off to sleep now!
Sony a6000 is a very good camera, its not without its issues but overall a good camera and if size is an issue for you the Sony a6000 will fit the bill, excellent sensor, good auto focus system and I recommend it, my buddy has it and he loves it.
a6300 is very close to the a6000, its an up scale with simply better technology but the differences are not huge.
If you decide to get the Sony a6000 then get few more batteries, these mirrorless cameras go through batteries like crazy, I would recommend Wasabi batteries, they are very cheap and very good with a charger which is also very cheap.
The Sony a6000 comes with the Sony 16-50mm, its a basic kit lens, its ok for starters, I added 2 lenses for this kit lens, I added Sony 55-210mm which is a telezoom and Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS for lower light but for starters you can get by with the kit lens. People don't like it so much but from my experience its really not as bad as people make it to be, its so small and compact its almost cant be considered pancake lens.
If you have any questions you are welcome to PM me or email me.

Hi! So far I had a Nikon D3400, which shoots pretty good quality, and I have some pictures with it. However I've noticed that I want to take pictures just when I am out and about, without the goal to take pictures in mind - that's when I noticed the most beautiful pictures. And I do not, often cannot, and do not even want to carry a big bulky camera with me everywhere, so I have missed around 90% of the pictures, and that makes me feel rather bad.
I also absolutely do not approve taking pictures with a smartphone, therefore - I need to find a solution, some sort of a camera. Keep in mind that my budget is as much as I could sell the used Nikon (with the lens) for + maybe 100 euros extra (I live in Sweden). I am young and do not have an income yet.
I would like it to have at least as good quality pictures as the Nikon, both in daylight and nightlight. And since the feeling of the camera is very important to me, I would like it to not feel like a cheap plastic camera. I just would not want to even touch it then.
The lens of my Nikon is 55mm, and I would prefer something a bit higher than that, but that's absolutely not necessary. I just do not like fisheye lenses though.
Please ask ANYTHING if that will help you to help me!! Thanks!

Hi !
yes, sell the Nikon and get mirrorless camera ... it's smaller and lighter and can easily use the big DSLR lenses
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Hi !
yes, sell the Nikon and get mirrorless camera ... it's smaller and lighter and can easily use the big DSLR lenses
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

WHY? Please elaborate beyond smaller and lighter. The OP clearly stated low light capability would be necessary. And another poster clearly stated many mirrorless cameras have poor low light capability! What camera do you believe will meet the OP's needs?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back