Help me choose the right lenses (sorry)

UdubBadger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So let me 1st apologize for the annoying thread ... I'm sure I'll get flamed (or at least should be) but I just would like some opinions from people who know what they are talking about instead of my GF who took photos in HS and still doesn't really know what a "fast lens" means.

Anyway, here is the situ...

I just upgraded my 20d to a 40d and I'm looking for some new lenses (unfortunately on a semi budget). Here is what I currently own.
Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye
Canon 28-135mm IS (kit lens)
Canon 50mm f/1.8

I shoot a lot of things but the 2 I actually make money shooting are Bands, both live and promo work and sports action shots (baseball, basketball and football mostly). I am first looking for a fast lens for the indoor stuff in low light situations as the live band stuff is really the majority of the work I do and a lot of my shots are from a close distance so the 50mm prime doesn't always do the trick.

I have been on Canons website for about 3 days now and I've kind of narrowed it down to these lenses but would like everyones opinion on what might be the best option in addition to what I already have.

Canon 16-35mm 2.8L
or
Canon 24-70mm 2.8L

Then I'd most likely to have to wait till summer to get a 70-200mm 2.8L IS and a 1.4x extender for the sports stuff.
I also considered doing a 20mm f/2.8 prime non L and get the 70-200 at the same time but I feel like thats kinda dumb cuz then I still don't have an L lens for the live indoor shoots.

I dunno, just need some direction right now is all.

Thanks for listening and your comments in advance (unless they are death threats :lol: ).

oh 1 last question, on the 70-200mm 2.8 is the IS version really worth the extra $600 bucks? I'd almost rather have that to get a 1.4x or even 2x extender and have like $300 left over but if it really makes a difference then I'd be willing to do it.

I shoot Nikon so I can't speak to specifics on the lenses, but I use the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 as my 'daily shooter' and while it's not quite as wide as I'd like on an APS-C sensor, the long end is perfect. IMO, an ideal lens. I think the 16-35 doesn't have quite enough to offer on the tele end.

I shoot Nikon so I can't speak to specifics on the lenses, but I use the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 as my 'daily shooter' and while it's not quite as wide as I'd like on an APS-C sensor, the long end is perfect. IMO, an ideal lens. I think the 16-35 doesn't have quite enough to offer on the tele end.

thanks for the reply.... I was also planning on getting the 70-200mm 2.8L but I do see what you are saying. With a 1.6x crop on the 40d though, its more like a 18-40mm than a super wide 16-35

Go for the 24-70, should be about perfect for your needs as well as being fast. It has incredible optics, and is widely regarded as a fantastic piece of glass.

But don't forget, even on a crop sensor that 16mm is gonna be wider than your average 18mm lens.

There are a lot of factors in choosing a lens...most of them are personal preference. Shorter or longer focal length, for example.

The 17-55mm F2.8 IS is a very good lens and worth considering for your 'normal' range zoom.

I might also consider prime lenses for their speed. For example, the 35mm F1.4 L is a suburb lens, as is the 24mm F1.4 L. Either of them are going to be quite expensive though. I have the Sigma 30mm F1.4 which is a lot cheaper and pretty good.

oh 1 last question, on the 70-200mm 2.8 is the IS version really worth the extra $600 bucks?
To some yes, to others...no. I have the F2.8 IS version and it was painfully expensive...but I'll always know that I have the best tool for the job. If I had skipped the IS...I would always have it in my head that I'm not getting shots that I could have.

I agree with Mike on both counts - go for the prime lens and absolutely, positively whenever IS is a choice - that's the one. They offer it for a reason - it's worth it. ;)

Peace,

Roey.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back