help please! captue nx and adobe bridge

Davehimself

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so i just got my d300 and i really like the fact that it saturates the pictures like crazy, ive always had this problem photoshop i scroll through the bridge to the picture i want and it looks nice all saturated and whatnot the picture in bridge looks like this
spreckles.jpg

then i click it to open it in camera raw when it opens it tones it down into this

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.jpg

is there any way to turn this "auto correction" off, without shooting in jpegs, its getting annoying spending time to get the picture the way it was before i open it in camera raw

with capture nx i can browse to my file in raw format and open it in the editor which keeps the saturated colors, but when i go to file "open with- photoshop cs3" it opens it in ps but it changes from a 12mb file into a 69mb file, even when i save the file as a jpeg then open it in ps it is still a 34mb file why cant it be 12mb this never happened with my d70

any help is much appreciated

The "auto correction" is in Bridge, the REAL RAW file is in Camera Raw, straight out of the camera.

Other than that, saturation should be a simple slider away anyway, nothing that would require you to spend any great amount of time on.

Firstly. Bridge is displaying the embedded jpeg that your camera put into the RAW file. CameraRAW is processing it. If you like the saturation then bump up the saturation as said above and then save it as a default setting so all the images start off like that.

Secondly you're not editing a 69mb file are you? Or a 34mb file? Is this what is written at the top / bottom of the window or the actual file size?

Your 12mb is compressed RAW data at 12bits. When you open this in photoshop you are editing an uncompressed 16bit file hence the size increase. Save this as a TIFF and you get a huge file. Set it to 8bits and saving as a JPEG gives you a normal sized file again but when you open it in photoshop you're working on a full uncompressed file. Here's a rough back of the envelope calculation:

12mpx * 8bits * 3 channels / 8bitsperbyte is in the ballpark of 36mb
12mpx * 16bits * 3 channels / 8bitsperbyte is a tad more than 70mb

is there any way to turn this "auto correction" off, without shooting in jpegs, its getting annoying spending time to get the picture the way it was before i open it in camera raw

This statement kinda struck me... are you sure you even want to be shooting in RAW? Having to dork around with your images is pretty much the signature complaint about RAW... and one usually assumes they won't be what you were looking for UNTIL you open them in raw and manipulate them.

EDIT: BTW, I also dislike the behavior you are describing in bridge, but for different reasons... I don't want Adobe dorking with the image, because if I did I probably wouldn't be taking raw pictures to begin with. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable the behavior, however.

EDIT: BTW, I also dislike the behavior you are describing in bridge, but for different reasons... I don't want Adobe dorking with the image, because if I did I probably wouldn't be taking raw pictures to begin with. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable the behavior, however.

Adobe Bridge doesn't show the RAW file, it shows the jpg that comes with it. (assuming you're shooting RAW + jpg, which I think is the only option on most cameras, but my Olympus actually gives me the option of shooting just RAW or RAW + jpg)

My Canon allows me to shoot just raw or raw+jpeg. I shoot just raw so I do not see the problem between Bridge and Camera Raw. I do frequently adjust the saturation in Camera Raw though. BTW in the above photos it looks to me like the white balance is also different in the photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back