Help! - Transferring Photos

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got a problem. Im trying to get the photos off my memory card and onto my computer. When I start transferring, everythign is fine, until the 18th photo. It just stops. What could be the problem? What could I do to fix it? If you have any other questions, let me know and I will try give answers.

Note - I can get the jpegs off (with another program), but not the Raw files.

Help!

Is that the one that's getting stuck on?

What camera is it. I'm assuming you are using the cord to transfer everything. What about getting a card reader. Are you using an importing program or just dragging and dropping form the memory card folder to another one on your computer?

~Michael~

Im using an importing program. I dont have a card reader yet, although that is a purchase I have on my "to buy" list.

I have a Nikon D80 - battery is charged, all the other cards are reading fine (I'm pulling images from 8 right now)

There is still tons of room on the hard drive. Any other ideas?

Don't know what could be causing it but I agree with the other suggestion of getting a card reader. That will likely solve the problem and it's easier to move things over with a card reader anyway because no software is needed, I just move them over with windows explorer. I know that's not an immediate solution but it might be best for the long run.

If you can browse the photos on the camera at all try copying one at a time. If it get stuck on one, move to the next. If it works on the next one it could be corrupt. I had an issue with one picture on my old camera and it prevented the rest from coming over. I unfortunatly lost that photo but was able to get the rest.

I agree with Computer_Generated. I've had the same problem. Skip the one that is giving you trouble and get the rest of your pics off the card. Then go back to that one pic and see if it will download then. If not...oh well...and format the card.

I agree with Computer_Generated. I've had the same problem. Skip the one that is giving you trouble and get the rest of your pics off the card. Then go back to that one pic and see if it will download then. If not...oh well...and format the card.

Sounds like the answer. Same problem I have sometimes with DVD backups, with one sector error. The whole copy process stops dead if one file is corrupted. I'm just too lazy to keep burning over and over, so I lose a file here and there. My real backup is an external hard drive.

Skip the file(s) causing the problem and copy all the rest.

You can also run a defragmetting utility, after you copy everything that you can, or a disk utility that fixes errors. You might still get the file back. Since you have the jpg, you can tell if it's all that important to spend all that time, to save one photo?

ps Get a card reader anyway, you'll be happier in the long run.

Thx everyone.

Most reactions

Back