HELP! w/my D90

kccaptures

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Last edited:
Good news, your D-90 is functioning perfectly like it should.

In those program mode the camera takes it upon itself to change the settings as it seems fit to get the desired effect in the mode you have selected ... that even includes changing the ISO on you.

Yeah, but in broad daylight I don't see why the camera would think you'd need that high of an ISO to get 1/500th shutter speed af f/5.6.

Odd.

Just use Aperture Priority next time and set it wide open (f/5.6) and see how that works for you.

The 70 -300 is not the fast of a lens... the grainy is due to the focus not being quite perfect.

What are the other stats from the photo?

... the grainy is due to the focus not being quite perfect.

Ummm, no! ... focus issues don't result in "grainy" they result in "blurry" - but "grainy" comes from EXPOSURE issues and higher ISOs ...

HA! Jimmy beat me to it ... go get him Jimmy. :lol:

Like im not one to judge but how could you own a 2 grand lens and not understand that?

Maybe because he/she wanted the sharpest pictures possible to avoid the grain ;) (that's a hella-good salesman right there)!

Epic response. =]

I'm new here! and feel like I've bit off more than I can chew at this point. While shooting my new D90 w/70-300 and at 300mm in "sports" mode my iso (while outdoors) is automatically setting itself very high, sometimes as high as 1300!!! why would this happen in bright natural day light? I didn't notice this until I transfered them for editing. Then noticed how grainy they were. What am I doing wrong?

"bit off more than I can chew" I felt that way too when I started shooting DSLR. I just wanted to understand it all so I could get on with it. Don't be too discouraged though, you are doing a wise thing by coming here and asking questions to learn. Welcome to a good place to learn! :)

If you could post the photo and the EXIF info we can help figure it out. You said bright day light, but I am wondering what metering mode the camera was in, what the shutterspeed was, etc. Was what you were focusing on "dark"? How did the scene expose over-all, etc.

Most reactions

Back