help with a body

TeeZeeMee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am previously a canon guy, and been in the world of m4/3 for a while...i am coming back to DSLRs just because i miss mine.
I am looking at going nikon now, you all would be happy i am sure! and im making sure I am picking the right body (lens advice is also welcome in comments too)
I am big into street shooting and documentary stuff and occasional landscapes. (just background)
I have been looking at a D90 (i have 2000$ USD to spend so I am looking for a body then the rest can go towards a lens or two, so may get a refurbished one)
I know it is a bit dated of a body and is almost on par with the d3100 and now d3200 but would this be a good choice or should i look at something else. Video quality isnt a factor to me...wont use it for real.

thanks and i appreciate the help :)

I think D90 is the wonderful camera and can yield great result when paired with some quality optics. Go for it and invest in good lenses. For Architecture or street photography I would get 35 1/8 . I love this lens and it is inexpensive.

rmstudios said:
I think D90 is the wonderful camera and can yield great result when paired with some quality optics. Go for it and invest in good lenses. For Architecture or street photography I would get 35 1/8 . I love this lens and it is inexpensive.

Thanks! Yea funny you say that because regardless of what Nikon I get, definitely was gonna get that lens. Probably just need one other with a longer focal length and I'd be good for a while. I liked the feel of the d3100 but I think the d90 will give me more in the long run.

Now do I go new or refurbished? Lol

on the move!!!!!!

rmstudios said:

Thanks! Yea funny you say that because regardless of what Nikon I get, definitely was gonna get that lens. Probably just need one other with a longer focal length and I'd be good for a while. I liked the feel of the d3100 but I think the d90 will give me more in the long run.

on the move!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with refurbished if you buy it from a reputable seller. I don't trust the "seller refurbished" deals on eBay though. I have bought several seller refurbished items over the years and can say with a certain degree of certainty that for the most part "seller refurbished" basically means "used and in working condition".

I have considered the D90 but ended up with D300 since the preowned body price is quite close. I dont think the D3000 is close to the D90 and you will have limitation on lens. The body is just one part of the equation, so do consider lenses.

With you budget, you can fit out a decent outfit for pre-owned set.

The d3100 is limiting in terms of features ( cls, auto fp, in body focus motor, etc.) All depends what you want or need.

After looking around at stuff I think I am going to go with a Petax K-5
Better overall crop DSLR right now, and the lenses for the K mount are all really compact and nice.
The weather sealing is a plus also.

thanks for looking at this though :)

I almost when the Pentax K-5 route, but chose the d7000, because I think the Nikon lens are a little better with more options, selection.

I almost when the Pentax K-5 route, but chose the d7000, because I think the Nikon lens are a little better with more options, selection.

well see im not 100% sure yet, i feel that I'd like the Nikon more just due to the lenses and being able to save my wallet a little.
The K-5 is super nice but I dont know if that exactly what i need, or want to do.

It is a big toss up really.
I kind of wanna just get a refurb D90 and some GOOD glass and you know eventually one day go D800 hahahaha, when they arent so hyped up and i need a upgrade

rmstudios said:

on the move!!!!!!

Funny you mention the D90 and 35 1.8G, I was all set on selling this lens. But have used it over the last week and have started to fall in love with it. It takes some amazingly sharp images!

And the D90 may be old tech, but it takes fantastic photos. The detail it captures is brilliant when using a good lens like the 35 1.8G and I find even simple basic lenses such as the 18-55 VR work very well aswell for that matter.

well see im not 100% sure yet, i feel that I'd like the Nikon more just due to the lenses and being able to save my wallet a little.
The K-5 is super nice but I dont know if that exactly what i need, or want to do.

It is a big toss up really.
I kind of wanna just get a refurb D90 and some GOOD glass and you know eventually one day go D800 hahahaha, when they arent so hyped up and i need a upgrade

Hmm the K5 is great and everything, no doubt about it! But at same time, as a SYSTEM... Nikon walks all over Pentax and kicks Pentax out of the park.

I held a D90 again today...sold haha. Gonna find a refurbished one online for cheaper and use the rest of my spending moneys on lenses.
So with that being said, lets change our direction towards lenses lol... im definetly getting a 35mm 1.8

TeeZeeMee said:
I held a D90 again today...sold haha. Gonna find a refurbished one online for cheaper and use the rest of my spending moneys on lenses.
So with that being said, lets change our direction towards lenses lol... im definetly getting a 35mm 1.8

KEH and Adorama. Not expensive. It's about 700-800 bucks.

Mach0 said:
KEH and Adorama. Not expensive. It's about 700-800 bucks.

There's a factory refurbished I'm getting off b&h tmw for 675

on the move!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back