Help with an image-unsharp mask

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really like the look of the unsharpened effect, but I created a halo around the glasses and I want to get rid of it while still using the effect for the rest of the photo. Someone told me to create a layer mask. I know how to actually create a layer mask, but don't know what to do afterwards to get rid of the halo. If anyone has step by step instructions that'd be great! I'd appreciate it.

3679834297_f2127c6c04_b.jpg

The unsharp mask actually sharpens a photo, but the name implies it unsharpens for some reason unknown to me. Here's something you can try:
1. Duplicate the layer you want to edit.
2. Apply the unsharp mask to this layer.
3. Adjust opacity/blending options of the layer until you get the look you want.
You could also try a high pass filter with the same process as above. Hope this helps some.

1. Duplicate Layer
2. Apply unsharp mask
3. Add layer mask
4. Select brush tool
5. Paint on the halo with either black or white. Black will remove the halo, white will paint it back in.

Tip: Use a soft edge brush so it doesn't look so harsh.

I re did the photo.

3693036986_43b85eef31_b.jpg

Any better?

The unsharp mask actually sharpens a photo, but the name implies it unsharpens for some reason unknown to me.

It comes from a darkroom technique whereby a blurred copy of the image (the 'unsharp' bit) is used as a mask for the original. It's a bit of an optical illusion, but it makes the image look sharper.

Any better?

I definitely don't see much of a halo around the glasses, but if you want my opinion, I believe the skin smoothing has been taken a titch too far.

Most reactions

Back