Help with Blur!! So frustrated...

Hello all and thanks for all the suggestions, I'm new to the forum as well and was going to start a similar thread, but I figured it would probably be easier to start here.

Like the OP, I just got an XTi myself and I LOVE to take pictures of bike races........it just so happens also that the races occur at night (what a coincidence!!)

My first outing a few weeks ago was just as frustrating, but I went out again last night and after a few blurred shots and meddling with the camera then taking a few more blurry shots and then meddling some more, I was able to eliminate the blur somewhat...........I'll be the first to admit I still have a long way to go though.

Here are some of my shots below, please feel free to critique......about all I did was increase the shutter speed to 30(?)

Picture437.jpg

Picture418.jpg

Picture433.jpg

Picture410.jpg

Picture363.jpg

Picture384.jpg

Picture401.jpg

Picture428.jpg

In order to take decent night time pics, you need a BIG aperture (F 2.8 or more, F 1.8 ideal), and a big ISO. A tripod would also help.

After setting everything to the max, track the subject with the camera. This will minimize blur if you've done it right. But in the end... just shoot. Take a good 10-20 pictures of a single subject and hopefully a few of them will come out right. Best of luck ;)

I like the one of the girl with the green jersey. Maybe try panning? It would it hard to get right, but if you do it will keep the rider sharp and also imply motion. The third one is good as well. But having a big aperture will allow more light in the the lens and allow for shorter shutter speeds, but will also cost quite a bit. I would also bump the iso (this probably has already been said)

Most reactions

Back