Help With Choosing SDHC Memory Cards ...

vja4Him

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Help With Choosing SDHC Memory Cards ...

I have a FujiFilm FinePix S2000HD camera, and would like to have a couple of high quality memory cards for shooting pictures and video at my son's Karate tests.

The last time I took pics, the camera was slow, and so I would miss a lot of good shots. Is this just the camera, or the memory cards?

I'd like to get 4GB and 8GB SDHC cards.

Suggestions? Thanks.
[/FONT]

Welcome to the forum.

The memory card won't really affect the 'speed' of the camera...not if you are talking about the shutter lag (time from when you press the button to when the camera snaps the shot). Shutter lag is a common problem with P&S (point & shoot) style cameras.

If you are shooting photos in bursts, the rate at which you can shoot (frames per second) is mainly determined by the camera (the buffer)...but the buffer writes the images to the card. So a faster card can help you to shoot at max speed, for a little longer than a slower card. But that's really the only benefit of a faster (more expensive) card, while shooting.

It's impossible to tell, without more information, but I'd guess that a faster 'high quality' card won't make any difference to you.

Welcome to the forum.

The memory card won't really affect the 'speed' of the camera...not if you are talking about the shutter lag (time from when you press the button to when the camera snaps the shot). Shutter lag is a common problem with P&S (point & shoot) style cameras.

If you are shooting photos in bursts, the rate at which you can shoot (frames per second) is mainly determined by the camera (the buffer)...but the buffer writes the images to the card. So a faster card can help you to shoot at max speed, for a little longer than a slower card. But that's really the only benefit of a faster (more expensive) card, while shooting.

It's impossible to tell, without more information, but I'd guess that a faster 'high quality' card won't make any difference to you.

I wasn't thinking about the shutter speed. I've noticed when I shoot pictures with my FujiFilm, it takes awhile to save an image before I can take another shot. So, I often miss better shots.

I was wondering if a faster SDHC card would save the pictures quicker, giving me a chance to take more shots before the action is finished.

When I do video clips, even short clips of about one minute, it seems to take forever for the camera to save the video!

Would a faster SDHC card speed up the process of saving the video, allowing me to continue shooting, without having to wait so long?

I wasn't thinking about the shutter speed.
Shutter speed is different from shutter lag...but it sounds like your problem is after the shot is taken...so yes, maybe a faster card would help...but I'd guess the camera is still largely to blame.

I have a 16GB Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s card im selling for $100 ($200+tx retail) plush shipping if you are interested. works great but my new primary camera takes CF. PM me if you are interested. But my the sounds of it a faster card may help.

Looking at the specs for your camera, it doesn't look like it supports SDHC, only SD.

The specs also do not list a frames-per-second rate.

In most instances photographers want faster memory cards for downloading images to their computer. The buffer write speed is what usually limits the speed images can be written to the memory card.

Looking at the specs for your camera, it doesn't look like it supports SDHC, only SD.

In most instances photographers want faster memory cards for downloading images to their computer. The buffer write speed is what usually limits the speed images can be written to the memory card.

Actually my camera does accept the SDHC memory cards. I've used the 4GB cards, and just tried out one of my 8GB cards. Works just fine!

Actually my camera does accept the SDHC memory cards. I've used the 4GB cards, and just tried out one of my 8GB cards. Works just fine!
That's great news! :thumbup:

If it is still slow, maybe you can downsize the file size it is saving. Such as from large down to medium, or however the nomenclature your camera uses for size if file saved.

If it is still slow, maybe you can downsize the file size it is saving. Such as from large down to medium, or however the nomenclature your camera uses for size if file saved.

I have my camera set for the highest quality images. Perhaps that is one reason why the camera is slower with saving images?

Most reactions

Back