Help with D300 Package

Yep, that is the one. :) Good, so I have my first lens for the D300.

While I am all about good glass, the D300 will perform better with cheap glass than a D80 will or a D40 will.

I have all three cameras, and know this for a fact.

Can you explain why?

Trenton Romulux said:
Oh, okay, I'll touch on this aspect of the D300 since I've seen it brought up a few times around here, the D300 has extremely small pixels. So, don't get a D300 if you don't plan on getting high-quality lenses to go with it, as you could get better results with a different camera and consumer lenses. I used a kit lens with my D300 for a few weeks before I stepped up my lenses, and I've got to say, if the D300's body hadn't blown me away, then I'd probably have been disappointed for those first few weeks. Any imperfection is picked up with the D300, sadly. But, if you're shooting with high-quality lenses, you won't have to worry. And I'm sure someone has touched on this already, but Nikon's equivalent to Canon's 'L' lenses are Nikon's gold lenses (lenses with a gold ring at the end), lenses like Nikon's 70-200mm VR, 14-24mm f/2.8 FX, you'll be able to see the gold ring when looking at their lens selection.

This is what I was talking about when I was speaking of cheap glass.

I'd say if you were getting a 50mm lens, you should go for the 1.4 over the 1.8. I mean, if your going to have a $1700 camera, you shouldn't buy a $100 lens that people buy for lowly D80's. The 1.4 seems to be worth it too, I heard the build and picture quality are impressive. (Romulox will know more on this lens)

Eh.. I do a lot of lens research because I get bored often.. general opinion around Nikon forums and such is that the 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 are very similar in image quality, just that you get an extra stop with the f/1.4 lens.

I own the f/1.8 AF, and I have an older AIS f/1.4 lens, which i've read has the same glass as the newer AF lens.. I don't really notice a difference in sharpness. A little contrast difference I think.. I do like that extra stop when the light is low though.

$$$$ does not automatically mean it's the best..

All, thanks for the input on this. I settled for a difference package...
Package

With this package comes the the D300 and these lenses:
- Nikon AF-S DX Zoom18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED
- Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor
- Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor

I am so excited... I feel like driving up to Brooklyn and picking it up. :)

It should be here by the end of the next week.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back