Help with D300 Package

EricBrian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I want to buy a Nikon D300 with my tax refund money and want some help with picking a package for a decent price. Can you tell me if it is a good price for all that is in the package? Here is a link to ebay.

Ebay Link

Thanks!!!!!!!! :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to the forum.

Do you already have any Nikkor or compatible Nikon lenses to start out with? Do you have a budget in mind? What type of shooting to do now or expect to do in the short term?

A bit more info from you could produce better responses from us. My immediate thoughts are to get prosumer quality or better for that camera. Think in terms of f/1.4 to f/1.8 for primes and f/2.8 for zooms. Check out Photozone.de for lens reviews also.

I have a Nikkor lens already for my Nikon D50. I have the AF Micro Nikkor 60mm 1:2.8 D. However, I don't know if that one will fit the D300. (BTW, that was going to be a separate post.... how to know which lens will fit a D300).

And, I think I should have been a little more clear on my first post... I should have said that I was looking for input on the Price vs. contents of the package the seller has put together. :)

Thanks! :)

Oh, and thanks for welcoming me to the forums. :)

Personally, I already had several lenses before I bought the D300, as you have some already. Why not consider getting the body only and use the lenses you have to start off with? Again on a personal note, the camera deserves good glass. If it is not in your budget right now, use what you have and save up for quality lenses. I could spout off what my arsenal entails, but I don't want to seem as bragging. What I did find however, once I started buying quality glass **insert big bucks here**, I definetly saw the advantage in my images. That's why it may be a good idea to figure out what type of shooting you will most likely be doing before you start slapping the C notes down on the counter.

This is from DPReviews:

Useable lenses:
• DX AF NIKKOR: All functions possible
• D-/G-type AF NIKKOR (excluding IX NIKKOR lenses): All functions possible (excluding PC Micro- NIKKOR)
• AF NIKKOR other than D-/G-type (excluding lenses for F3AF): All functions except 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
• AI-P NIKKOR: All functions except Autofocus, 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
• Non-CPU AI NIKKOR: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data

Something to point out, I have heard, on this forums and others, that with the D300 you really need good glass. I have heard that any imperfection in the quality of the glass will be shown on the D300.

I think either you (kundalini) or Trenton Romulux said it on here.

When you say 'glass,' you mean lens, yes?

kundalini, please do list lenses that are good because, for one, it would help me. I am sure others would appreciate it too.

My main goal is macro photography. I absolutely love making small things large. :) But, I also from time to time go into the city and just snap away at anything that find interesting.

When you say 'glass,' you mean lens, yes?

kundalini, please do list lenses that are good because, for one, it would help me. I am sure others would appreciate it too.

My main goal is macro photography. I absolutely love making small things large. :) But, I also from time to time go into the city and just snap away at anything that find interesting.

Lens and glass are pretty much interchangeable.

Good Glass (short list):
AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Macro Lens)
AF-S VR NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Those are just a few. Not cheap by any means, but all good glass.

Two things I can suggest:
1) The common consensus is to buy glass first and bodies later. Glass moves between bodies, and are an investment.
2) Check out photozone.de for other lenses that have good ratings.

Just remember, like I said, I have heard that you really do need good glass with a D300. The D300 is a professional camera, so my guess is that they expect people to have professional quality lenses.

:)

Yes, glass = lens.

Well, I don't have any macro lens yet, but I am pretty sure most of the macro shooters will agree that the 105mm is probably one of the best for IQ and being able to stay a decent working distance from your subject particularly if it is alive.

I have acquired lenses that accomodate what I wish to shoot. All have their purpose. For primes I have 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8 and a 85mm f/1.8. These are used primarily for portraiture. I use the 35mm mainly for when I photograph dogs at my local animal shelter and full body shots of humans. The 50mm is just a damn good lens to have and can be used for almost anything. The 85mm is great for head shots. I also have a 300mm f/4 prime because I wanted the length and a 1.7 teleconverter works well with it to get me out there past 500mm for wildlife (and moonshots, have a search for my lastest moon photo).

For zooms, I have the 12-24mm f/4, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm VR f/2.8. I started out with (and still have) the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm VR lenses.

But to each his own. I wanted way too much and got way too much. I'm not suggesting in the least this is what somebody else should have. Fortunately I have very little in living expenses, so the indulgence was not a burdeon.

Does that help? Again, not meaning to boast, but each of thoses lenses are quite good for their own purpose.

I'd say if you were getting a 50mm lens, you should go for the 1.4 over the 1.8. I mean, if your going to have a $1700 camera, you shouldn't buy a $100 lens that people buy for lowly D80's. The 1.4 seems to be worth it too, I heard the build and picture quality are impressive. (Romulox will know more on this lens)

There is nothing wrong with the 50mm f/1.8. And the D80 in not lowly.

While I am all about good glass, the D300 will perform better with cheap glass than a D80 will or a D40 will.

I have all three cameras, and know this for a fact.

Thanks for all the info. :)

kundalini, just to make sure that I understand your previous post, the Nikkor lens that I have should work with the D300, right?

Thanks all, again, for the info.

If it works on the D50, then it will on the D300. If the 60mm lens is this one, the first reviewer stated "and on dx it gives a field of view equivalent to a 90mm".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back