Help with D70s flash

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by weirdcharacters, Jul 1, 2006.

1. weirdcharacters

weirdcharacters TPF Noob!

Okay, so I'm using a D70s and SB600 wirelessly. I'm wondering, since the manual says the trigger from the D70s is a COMMANDER, not a MASTER, why the flash still fires? Isn't a commander just supposed to relay the flash command to the wireless, and a Master both fires AND relays?

If the SB600 needs that flash of light to trigger itself(I'm not sure how it works), is there anything I can do to dim down the onboard flash so as to have it not show up in my pictures, but still have the SB600 fire?

2. castrol

castrol TPF Noob!

You could always cover it with something. Not sure but I think the trigger is
    infra red. I'll have to do some experimenting.

3. weirdcharacters

weirdcharacters TPF Noob!

I tried covering it with my finger tip just to try it out and all I got was a warm fingertip and no flash.

4. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It fires to trigger the remote flash. The pre-flash trigger doesn't contribute much if anything to the final exposure. The D200 can be set up so the on-board flash can trigger remotes and contribute to the image but not the D70.

5. Patrick

Patrick TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ditto. The "flash" from the on board speedlight is just a signal to the sb-600. It doesn't add any, or at least it shouldn't, extra light to the scene.
    I have both the 70 and 70s along with 800 and 600 and have used the commander mode many times and haven't seen the onboard flash in the final image.