Help with lens choice on Sony A100

demonsmasher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to get a descent zoom lens. Right now I want to stay cheap as possible. I'm not a pro so starting out with basic stuff is ok with mt right now while I grow in experience. Here are some lenses I am looking at. which would you go with or what order would you go in? I am wanting to stay around the $150 range or cheaper. But I don't want to cheap and get a really crappy lens.

I have a A100 here are the lens choices I am looking at with price. What would you go with.

1. Cosina AF 28-300mm f/4-6.3 MC Wide-Telephoto Lens $108.49

SIGMA 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC-II $99.99

3.Sony DT 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 $103

Sigma 55-200mm DC$139.00

Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom lens $150 ish

First off, you don't say what zoom range you're interested in, and you list covers quite a range, but from what I see, I'll guess normal to medium tele. That aside, you say you're not a pro, and you want cheap, but not crappy. Sorry, but glass doesn't work that way. Unless you score the bargain of a lifetime at a garage sale where someone doesn't know what they're selling, or buy one in a back alley that fell off a truck, cheap glass is almost always going to be crap. There are a few exceptions, but none that I'm aware of in the zoom world.

Remember, the lens is what makes the image; the camera is just a recording medium. Good glass on a cheap camera beats cheap glass on a good camera, EVERY TIME! You've got a huge world of Minolta lenses open to you, so what I'd suggest is head down to your local used store, and see what you can find in a second hand lens in the range you're interested in.

would I want good glass oh yea, but right now money is a concern. What I have listed all get some to less revirews for those who have used these. I can take pretty good photos with my kit lens just want some more zoom to it. As far as what zoom range I am looking at. Well read the post. I have the zoom ranges there.

I would recommend trying to find a used Minolta 70-210 F4, also known as the "beer can" lens. There were a few different version of the 70-210 made, but you will want the one with the fixed F4 aperture. These go for around $120-$200. (reviews and info HERE) Another good lens to consider is the Minolta 50mm F1.7. These can be had for ~$100 on eBay and cheaper on CraigsList and places like that. (reviews and info HERE) You need to remember, all of the Minolta Maxxum AF lenses dating all the way back to the '80s can be used on your Sony Alpha mount camera.

Why the f4? Why not one of the ones with multiple f's? I keep seeing some 4's and some 3.5-6.3 or something along those lines. I have seen some f4's and have my eye on a few of them. I already have the 50mm 1.7. Great lens too.

Last edited:
According to all of my research, the constant F4 lens is the sharpest and fastest (at longer focal ranges) of the 70-210 models. That one that goes to 6.3 might be pretty slow focusing at the tele end of the zoom range. Plus, the F4 will give you a bit more creative freedom with regards to shallow DOF.

I looked at some of the sample shots with the f4. I think I am sold on it. Little more money than I want, but looking at the examples it looks to be worth it.

It will be my next lens purchase also. Well, that is after I can score a 50mm f/1.7. I already have the 75-300 Sony that you listed in your original post, but it is quite slow and quite loud focusing as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back