Help with Macro

julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so I just rented the canon 100mm 2.8 Macro lens. I'm trying to learn the facet of macro photography. I thought I knew a little by the searches I've done here and what I've read on some google searches.

But man am I clueless. I went outside today with my 5D, the new lens and my tripod, got real close to a pretty flower had it on auto focus and AV mode (about 6" away) and it wouldn't focus, kept going in and out (what's the word for that?) So I put it on Manual focus and I was only able to focus on the stamen (right word?) the rest of the flower was blurry, I realized I was at F2.8, so narrowed my aperture to 5.6, then 8, then 11 and just wasn't getting what I wanted. Naturally, (no pun intended) I wanted the whole flower in focus.

Any Macro words of wisdom to impart on a Friday night?

I'm not really sure what to say. I have always found macro photography very easy. It may be your lens.

I'm using a Nikon D40 with 18-55mm kit lens and I'm getting some great macro shots. It has to be on manual focus though. If you have any other lenses, I would try it with those. I've never really used a macro lens.

Thats strange. You tried increasing the F stop and still had a shallow depth of field?

What condition are your eyes in? Sometimes if your eyes are not in good condition you will have trouble getting a picture into sharp focus.

I hope I didn't misread your post but you might be too close to the subject. Back up a little more and try again. Even if you manually focus, there is still a minimum distance that you have to keep between the lens and the subject.

Most macro shooters don't use auto focus. With macro the DOF is very small. Set the lens to manual, focus to the working distance you want and move the camera back and forth to get your subject into focus.

I own the 100mm f2.8 macro, it is a great lens for macro work. Give the above a try and I think that you will be surprised with the results you can get.

A
But man am I clueless. I went outside today with my 5D, the new lens and my tripod, got real close to a pretty flower had it on auto focus and AV mode (about 6" away) and it wouldn't focus, kept going in and out (what's the word for that?)

Know the limitations of your lens. According to Canon the closest focusing distance is 0.31 meters which translates to roughly 12 inches. I think you might be too close.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/macro/ef_100_28macro_usm.html

So I put it on Manual focus and I was only able to focus on the stamen (right word?) the rest of the flower was blurry, I realized I was at F2.8, so narrowed my aperture to 5.6, then 8, then 11 and just wasn't getting what I wanted. Naturally, (no pun intended) I wanted the whole flower in focus.

Shallow DOF is a nature of Macro and you have to work with it. This is the reason why a macro flash or good lighting is practically a necessity. You need a lot of light so you can work at small apertures. For me.. I'm often shooting at f/16 to get enough DOF. The only way to do that is with good light.

Macro photography is a bit different from just photography. Focusing is often done by moving the camera forwards and backwards rather than relying on the focusing ring or AF since either will affect the final magnification. Working apertures in photography is generally f/4-5.6 (subject) or f/8-f/11 (story telling). Working apertures in macro is generally smaller f/11-f/16 which needs a lot of light (as mentioned above).

...it wouldn't focus, kept going in and out (what's the word for that?)
When people say that there lens is hunting, that's what they're talking about.

According to Canon the closest focusing distance is 0.31 meters which translates to roughly 12 inches. I think you might be too close.
Keep in mind that that's the distance from the film/sensor plane, not the front of the lens - so it's going to be around 6" (plus or minus) from the front of the lens.

from reading around the forum f13 is a good aperture for trying to grab shots of bugs and insects = as for flowers I myself, have found f16 to be a good value - giving enough depth to a shot.
Also you don't say, but if you are using a flash a diffuser can help to sofen the harsh light from it. If you are using the camera popup flash then a diffuser is a few rolls of toilet paper held infront of the flash - I have tried this and it does help to break up the light

I realized I was at F2.8, so narrowed my aperture to 5.6, then 8, then 11 and just wasn't getting what I wanted. Naturally, (no pun intended) I wanted the whole flower in focus.
I have this lens too. For this type of shot, I would typically use f/32 and flash to get maximum DOF. You can use the pop up flash - it won't make a shadow (long lens can make shadows with the pop up flash sometimes), but it won't look as good as a ring-lite. It works though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back