Help with shooting a real estate video

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I'm a reasonably experienced and confident shooter of still photos with my DSLR's, but I'm basically a novice at video work as it's never really interested me much. However, I've been offered a job tomorrow (this is a one-off but could lead to more work if I do a good job) filming a real estate video. The esate agent hiring me knows my experience level with video (nil), so his expectations aren't high, but I'd like to do a good job and I'm looking for some pointers as this is new territory for me. He is coming along with me and is going to instruct me on what he wants me to do.
I'm using a either Canon 5Dmk2 or a Canon 60D (probably the 60D). I have a number of lenses, if I use the 5D I'd use my 17-40L lens, with the 60D I would use my 17-55 2.8 IS. I have a tripod which I'll bring along, but not sure if this will be much use as from what I gather it will be a 'walk through' sort of video. With this in mind I guess it would be best to use the 17-55 with the image stabilizer.
So - any tips, traps to watch out for etc? Any guidance is appreciated at this point :)

Take the tripod and do an establishing shot outside. If you move the camera (pan or tilt), make sure it is s-l-o-w and smooth - especially if you have a still camera tripod without a fluid head.

Careful with the rooftop - both the 5D Mark II and 60D have a moire challenge with shingled roofs. Please see this video:

[video=vimeo;20565849]http://vimeo.com/20565849[/video]

You may want to do tripod shots indoors, in addition to the walkthrough. If the walking shots turn out to be unusable, this could save your bacon.

Use your still photographer's eye for composition (rule of thirds, etc.) - but remember it's video, so try to find something in the shot that brings the subject to life (change in focus from a foreground to background object, a water fountain, a sparkling pool, etc.)

If you end up doing more real estate videos, you may want to invest $24 in the "Real Estate Film School" DVD. There's an example video done in the style taught on the DVD here.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Bill, great pointers there thanks a lot for your help. I'll definitely use the tripod for a couple of shots. I might bring my 30mm 1.4 or 28mm 1.8 as well as the zoom lens, for some more creative shooting (focus changes - or whatever the technical term is for that :lol:)
Interesting point on the moire, not sure there'll be much I can do about that if it is a shingle roof house.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back