Help with this image

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1511386893329.jpg

How do I fix this circular banding of the background?

Add noise after selecting the background.
It's called posterization
Tip - Shoot Raw files, convert the Raw files to a broad color space like ProPhoto RGB, make sure you edit in 16-bit mode, and use Adjustment Layers as much as possible.

Oh! Ya! Lightroom doesn't have very accurate selection tools, and doesn't let you make any of those other Tip choices, though Lr's Develop module is a version of the ProPhoto RGB color space known as Melissa RGB.
Photoshop Camera Raw lets you set the color bit depth and the color space. You can set 16-bit mode in Photoshop: Image > 16 bit.

Last edited:
Since you have a nice clean image against a plain background. I'd open a new canvas and fill it with the background color of your choice, then select the subject and place as a layer on the new canvas.

I would do a fast/crude mask and fill the background with a black or grey-black gradient

Add noise after selecting the background.
It's called posterization
Tip - Shoot Raw files, convert the Raw files to a broad color space like ProPhoto RGB, make sure you edit in 16-bit mode, and use Adjustment Layers as much as possible.

Oh! Ya! Lightroom doesn't have very accurate selection tools, and doesn't let you make any of those other Tip choices, though Lr's Develop module is a version of the ProPhoto RGB color space known as Melissa RGB.
Photoshop Camera Raw lets you set the color bit depth and the color space. You can set 16-bit mode in Photoshop: Image > 16 bit.
Ok, I'm looking at it now and it's set to sRGB ICE### so, I need to set it to ProPhoto RGB?

@Evertking do you only have LR, I thought you had PS also? The color banding around the subject makes it looks sort of like you might have burned down the background on a layer copy of the image rather than using a 50% gray layer.

Well, this will tell ya how green I am. I have been using Photoshop in 8 bit. I set it to 32 now. I do shoot in RAW. So.. Im no Photoshop wizard but I do know that there is a gigantic difference in 8 bit vs 32.
I may just re edit the picture..lol

Last edited:
Sitting at the computer. Ok, I will have to change that then.

Since you have a nice clean image against a plain background. I'd open a new canvas and fill it with the background color of your choice, then select the subject and place as a layer on the new canvas.
Do you mean do a selection of him? I not sure about the pen tool yet but I am ok with the quick selection brush. If you don't mind could you explain to me how?

Well, this will tell ya how green I am. I have been using Photoshop in 8 bit. I set it to 32 now. I do shoot in RAW. So.. Im no Photoshop wizard but I do know that there is a gigantic difference in 8 bit vs 32.
I may just re edit the picture..lol

No one who's any good ever stops learning :)

I just had to google how to spell ' no one' :)

Do you mean do a selection of him? I not sure about the pen tool yet but I am ok with the quick selection brush. If you don't mind could you explain to me how?

Yes. Select and Mask using the refine edge workspace Learn how to use the dedicated Select And Mask workspace in Photoshop CC.

Save your selection as a new layer. then open a new canvas same size as your image, fill it with the color of your choice. Select the layer you put the cut out on and paste it to the background.

I downloaded your image, there may be an easier way give me a minute.

Okay, quicker way to fix.
1511386893329.jpg

1. Open in PS. The Ctrl J, to copy image as a new layer
  2. Use Quick Selection tool to select your subject. Don't worry about getting exact you'll refine it in the next step
  3. Click on SELECT AND MASK box (top tool bar) The select and mask workspace will open.
  4. Right side top set opacity to about 30% on overlay. Color red, > color overlay indicates selected area. Set edge detection to 2, feather 2, shift edge -.10.
  5. Top left select very top brush, make sure the "+" sign is checked on the top tool bar.
  6. Increase your brush size to a suitable working size, now just brush in the remainder of your mask.
  7. When done go back to right side toward the bottom click on INVERT
  8. Further down, on the right OUTPUT to new layer with layer mask. Click OK
  9. In layers, select the new layer with mask.
  10. Go to Filter>Blur>Surface Blur
  11. Set Radius to 42 Set threshold to 15 click ok
  12. With the same layer selected, go to Filter>Camera Raw
  13. When new workspace opens, go to top select adjustment brush (third from left) set your exposure to about -.50, shadows, -.5 and select a large brush. Brush over the remaining light areas of the background, don't worry about getting on the subject as the mask you created will prevent it from getting on the subject.
  14. When satisfied, click ok.
  15. You're done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back