hey how about a

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now here is a weird question.. I was reading the paper this morning and there is a whole new generation of grow lights. I had no idea there was an old generation. One of them is a treated, florescent, high intensity bulb. It is blanced blue to help plants grow. There is also one balanced red I think.

The blue is probably balanced to daylight since blue is historically what is added to incandescant lights to make daylight color.

So the question is has anyone tried to shoot photographs under this light source. I would be curious to know what they look like but I shoot very little color.

By the way: if the color was good with them, and the intensity is high, you wont have the heat problem you have with solid lights. Since florescent barely heats at all you could use them easily in a studio. Constant light is easier to work with since it is wysiwyg lighting.

So if you haven't tried it, someone should break down and buy a bulb and see what it does. I would be curious even though I have no intention of shoot studio portraits at the moment.

If I remember right, grow lights aren't the same as daylight or full-spectrum bulbs. Daylight bulbs try to emulate sunlight. Grow bulbs try to emphasize the part of the spectrum plants use, but ignore the rest.
They still might make interesting lights to try out, but I'm guessing the color balance will be a little funky. They might be easier to correct for than regular fluorescents, though.

But your herb garden will be happy <grin>

Most reactions

New Topics

Back