Hi, Im completely new

Nix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well hi guys, right now im in anchorage alaska. When i was much younger i took a course in photography which i failed... lol. It just did not interest me in the least. However now 10 years later at 24 i find myself extremely interested in it... like its something that just makes me want to wake up early in the morning and stay out until late at night doing. I found the digital camera that i had (a 5.0 megapixel canon pocket camera) to be unsatisfying and thus it lead me to getting the canon rebel xti. I unfortunately do not know enough about the different settings and such to do a whole lot. however i have taken a picture and i was wondering from your point of views, what should be done to make the next one i take better.
31801.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

To really be able to use your camera to it's potential, I suggest doing some reading about basic exposure. Learn how to use the Aperture and Shutter speed to get the effects you want. Learn how to control depth of field and how to deal with motion. Then read up on metering and learn how the camera sets the exposure and what you can do to out smart the camera. It might also be a good idea to read up on Photoshop/digital editing etc.

As for your image here, I like the scenery and I like the car...but which is the subject of the photo? It seems they are competing with each other to be the main focus. Also, the car is a little too centered for my liking. If I hold up my hand and crop off the area behind the car, I think it makes it a better image.

... wow i just held up my hand and your right. thank you so so much. im reading up on things actually as i speak im taking a break from doing so.

318sun01.jpg

that right there is the best photo that i took of the day i think... but i know theres a lot wrong with it

Welcome to the forum Nix!

I'm a newbie to photography too...and you've found a great place! This is a wonderfully helpful forum! Look forward to seeing more of Alaska :)

(on a side note...I'm getting ready to buy the canon rebel xti...as soon as I can settle my nerves about ordering one online)

Cheers!

thank you :) and i was going to order mine online but i just didnt have the heart to do it. so i went into a store. I just dont feel right about spending THAT much money on something online...

first off, great car. Evo's are pretty sweet, though I personally am an STi kinda guy myself.

You've already got a good subject, and a great background. The problem here is exposure. The one of the wrx, evo and the newer wrx/sti (cant tell) is exposed for the sky, and as a result the cars are way too dark. This is simply because the sky is so much brighter, so your camera compensates by increasing shutterspeed. This is fine, but if you want to see your subject on the ground, you need to expose for it, and not the sky. Depending on your camera you can lock the exposure on the cars, and then aim your camera whever you want (so you can get the cars at the bottem of the frame). Keep reading through this site and you will learn a ton. Oh and search, and ask questions, no matter how dumb they sound. If you have a question, chances are someone else is wondering the same thing, and actually from some of the most basic questions evolve much deeper ideas that benifit newbies and the more serious alike.

EDIT: Check out this site, it is made for canon noobs and will teach you the basics that you need to know in an hour or so, with great examples.

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75372

the one in the first picture is my car.. in the second picture its in the middle

welcome to the forum :)

time i post some images of my car .. as a German I am supposed to be car-crazy ;)

ahh cool what do you drive alex?

ahh cool what do you drive alex?

Oh, nothing special, I am actually not that car crazy (for being a Germany male) .. I drive an Audi A3, in a colour called Lavagrey .... almost black, with a funny reflective effect when the sun shines on it.

backleftmirrorlake.jpg

is that better?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back