Hi! New to forum and beginning photographer

i think it's probably just a missed focus, and you couldn't tell on the tiny LCD screen

OOF = Out Of Focus

Ok, so what do you suggest I do next time? Is that the wrong setting?? I really just don't get it and that's why I'm on this forum to try to learn!

I just looked at the EXIF data on that photo (EXIF information is stored for every photo you take and tells you what settings were used, when it was taken, etc.), and noticed that you used 1.4x digital zoom. That probably contributed quite a bit to the image looking out of focus. If your camera has the ability to turn that off, I highly suggest you do that so you don't accidentally use it. Digital zoom is completely worthless because you can get the same effect, with better quality, by cropping the photo in PP (post processing).

Other things that may have contributed to the focus problem would be:

• You may have been closer to the subject than the camera is capable of focusing. Check your camera manual to find out what it's minimum focusing distance is.
  • Once you press the shutter button halfway, the camera locks the focus. If you move the camera toward or away from the subject at all, the focal plane comes with you. When you're zoomed in that much, little movements can have a big effect.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

i think you need glasses, or to get your eyes checked if you couldn't tell that the first dragonfly pic is more than out of focus

Actually reb, I wear glasses - not useful info! Go Dawgs!! :)

The image is more soft than out of focus IMO.
226.jpg

Sharpened, will never be perfect but would be suitable for web use perhaps.

celm7z4q.jpg

to help you see focus try with some sort of softwere enlarge the photo to 100% and take a look.

Thanks for all the info! I'll have to check it out - what comments do you have about the second dragonfly pic I posted, just curious if its better then the first. Going photo hunting today so hopefully I'll do better!

OOF = Out Of Focus

Ok, so what do you suggest I do next time? Is that the wrong setting?? I really just don't get it and that's why I'm on this forum to try to learn!

I just looked at the EXIF data on that photo (EXIF information is stored for every photo you take and tells you what settings were used, when it was taken, etc.), and noticed that you used 1.4x digital zoom. That probably contributed quite a bit to the image looking out of focus. If your camera has the ability to turn that off, I highly suggest you do that so you don't accidentally use it. Digital zoom is completely worthless because you can get the same effect, with better quality, by cropping the photo in PP (post processing).

Other things that may have contributed to the focus problem would be:

• You may have been closer to the subject than the camera is capable of focusing. Check your camera manual to find out what it's minimum focusing distance is.
  • Once you press the shutter button halfway, the camera locks the focus. If you move the camera toward or away from the subject at all, the focal plane comes with you. When you're zoomed in that much, little movements can have a big effect.
If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Checked the manual for camera and I don't see minimum focus distance. Is there something you can suggest or should I just guesstimate and learn from that?

i think you need glasses, or to get your eyes checked if you couldn't tell that the first dragonfly pic is more than out of focus

Actually reb, I wear glasses - not useful info! Go Dawgs!! :)

The image is more soft than out of focus IMO.
226.jpg

Sharpened, will never be perfect but would be suitable for web use perhaps.

celm7z4q.jpg

I see exactly what you mean - thanks for showing me!

WoW! I've learned a bit thru this thread - went out to the Refuge today for more pics and in looking at them, none are any good. Most are washed out due to the heat/humidity we are suffering but there were quite a few that were blurry. I was more conscious about the digital zoom and didn't use it (well, once or twice) but its not something I can turn off, just have to watch how I use the zoom. Still not 100% about the rule of thirds so I wasn't sure whether I got that part right or not but am reading. Thanks all!

WoW! I've learned a bit thru this thread - went out to the Refuge today for more pics and in looking at them, none are any good. Most are washed out due to the heat/humidity we are suffering but there were quite a few that were blurry. I was more conscious about the digital zoom and didn't use it (well, once or twice) but its not something I can turn off, just have to watch how I use the zoom. Still not 100% about the rule of thirds so I wasn't sure whether I got that part right or not but am reading. Thanks all!

the heat/humidity doesn't affect the exposure of the image. your shutter speed was too slow

Rule of thirds is basically try not to have your main focus dead center of the pic. Kind of like below with a pic of a sunflower I took you will notice the main focus is more to the left instead of being dead center.

171.jpg

Thanks for all the info! I'll have to check it out - what comments do you have about the second dragonfly pic I posted, just curious if its better then the first. Going photo hunting today so hopefully I'll do better!

I love the second one: the gravel has lots of color and the wetness really brings it out; the colors complement the dragonfly nicely. However, you've got serious optical problems here. The center is soft, like the other shot. Maybe focus is the problem, maybe the optics are just soft. Also, the softness gets worse toward the edges. Hopefully this is simply a dof (depth of field) issue: the center is more or less in focus and the edges are outside a narrow dof (and not a case of optical aberration).

Most reactions

Back