hiding the 'click' when it might get you in trouble

whistule

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A number of times I've had to cough or sneeze at the same time as taking a picture as the shutter click would get me in trouble for taking the photograph. Anyone else have such troubles? Or perhaps you've found more inventive ways of creating a diversion!

I used to really like shooting with a canon G5 (till it broke) because you could set it to take pictures silently. I presume you can do this with all digital point n shoots but SLR have , well, a real shutter.

That's why I like my Canonet rangefinder.. it's leaf shutter is super quiet. Of course, it's a film camera and most people don't want that anymore..

I usaully just hold it at waste hieght and shoot, and i cough when i need to cover noise aswell.

I mean, I don't mean to be rude, but I just can't think of a lot of places where you can't shoot but would have a reason to. But, I've had no coffee yet. Idk.

I could be wrong, but i'm interpreting the "get in trouble" part as more of "annoy people".. like street photography, sometimes it's better to go unnoticed when shooting, or let's say you're taking photos of friends in a coffee shop or something similar.. i wouldn't want to be all loud and annoying with my noisy SLR. What about nature photography, loud shutter could scare away some animals.. just a few examples.

That's what I was thinking, if it's street photography then you'll get used to it with time. Taking pics on the street isn't a big deal.

If you're sneaking around the White House... be careful buddy.

You need yourself a good rangefinder or a new digital compact.

yup was going to recommend a Leica myself, haven't got one, or used one but they're practically silent.. and i think you use film anyway?

Are they quiet?

I mean, I don't mean to be rude, but I just can't think of a lot of places where you can't shoot but would have a reason to. But, I've had no coffee yet. Idk.

I was just at one last night ...

A poetry reading. When the poet is reading, the rest of the place is dead silent, and your shutter is loud as HELL :lol:

Rangefinders are inherently quiter... the bulk of the noise from an SLR is not the shutter, it's the mirror banging up against the housing as it gets out of the way to make the exposure.

The Leica M8 is a little louder than older Rangefinders because it re-cocks the shutter right after shooting, which an M7 did manually.

My D200 is loud enough to wake the dead at times... lol.

I don't take pics that get me in trouble. I act professionally and with courtesy, even when taking candids.

If I feel a picture that I took is questionable after taking the shot, I lower the camera, look them right in the eyes, smile, nod and mouth the words "thank-you". If they object I offer to show them that I deleted the picture... no biggie!

I was just at one last night ...

A poetry reading. When the poet is reading, the rest of the place is dead silent, and your shutter is loud as HELL :lol:

Stand back as far as you can (maybe even in another room, shooting through the door or outside, shooting through a window), and a long lens helps that situation. ;)

Most reactions

Back