High Key Sax player

ShutteredEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you think of the high key treatment here?

Saxman.jpg

markc said:
It's not exactly what I would consider "high key", but I like the look. It's unfortunate that he had that clutter in front of him.

I said high key because I tried to wash out the background. What would you call it? High contrast?

You'll likely see many more pictures of this guy in the coming days, many with much better composition than mine. I was trying to be unobtrusive, but then the rest of the group found him and started chatting him up and sticking their lenses in his face, LOL. I wasn't that bold in this instance.

ShutteredEye said:
I said high key because I tried to wash out the background. What would you call it? High contrast?
Not sure. I hope that didn't come across as snarky. High key is usually used for images that are mostly very light tones, like this one. In yours, much of the subject is dark tones and takes up a fair amount of the image, so even with the light background, it's probably not high key.

You'll likely see many more pictures of this guy in the coming days, many with much better composition than mine. I was trying to be unobtrusive, but then the rest of the group found him and started chatting him up and sticking their lenses in his face, LOL. I wasn't that bold in this instance.
Did you have a meetup with some of the folks here?

I'm the same way, BTW. I much prefer to be the unseen fly on the wall.

i think it's a nice photo, but to honest i think i would prefare it without such a bright background.

Maybe a tighter crop too? Bottom of the sax, elbow, just above the hat type crop. It would help with the clutter, .like mark said

markc said:
Not sure. I hope that didn't come across as snarky. High key is usually used for images that are mostly very light tones, like this one. In yours, much of the subject is dark tones and takes up a fair amount of the image, so even with the light background, it's probably not high key.

Did you have a meetup with some of the folks here?

Yah, I guess you could interpret what you said in a snarky way, but I think I've learned that even when you come across that way you usually mean well, so I don't let myself get offended anymore, LOL. I appreciate your comments on my photos, I generally learn from you. Even when I don't particularly agree with your viewpoint, it's generally well thought out and supported and I learn from your thought processes.

Yes, we had a meet up in Austin, there's a sticky thread in the general gallery.

JohnMF said:
i think it's a nice photo, but to honest i think i would prefare it without such a bright background.

Maybe a tighter crop too? Bottom of the sax, elbow, just above the hat type crop. It would help with the clutter, .like mark said

Thanks, good suggestion on the crop, I'll try that out, and post it later.

markc said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one this way, but don't you agree you miss some shots sometime hanging back? This is definitely one area I am trying to work on.

Aoide said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one this way, but don't you agree you miss some shots sometime hanging back? This is definitely one area I am trying to work on.
Yes and no. Since I prefer the candid look, if I make myself obtrusive, chances are the shot is "missed" anyway, since the person is now looking at or responding to me. Even when I'm doing shots with a model, I prefer to work in a casual way, not posing them. I do wish that I was quicker, so that I could pop in and grab those kind of shots without being noticed, like Henri Cartier-Bresson.

ShutteredEye said:
Yah, I guess you could interpret what you said in a snarky way, but I think I've learned that even when you come across that way you usually mean well, so I don't let myself get offended anymore, LOL.
Thanks. I sometimes get so caught up in the photography that everything else falls away. That fine line between critique and encouragement can be tough to walk.

I actually rather like the clutter - I think it tells a story...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back