High Speed Photography...

Mercury149

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for something for my D70 that would help in high speed, like real high speed:lol: . Maybe something like a strobe or good flash, or maybe even a lense. My budget at the max is $500.00. Please help:confused:

If you are thinking what I'm thinking...those shots are made with long shutter speeds and quick flash bursts...so I'd say you are on the right track by looking for a good flash.

I'm not sure what the D70 can do but you should be able to use the SB-600 or SB-800 flash units from Nikon do do what you want. I can get 1/4000 with my F5 and SB-80DX as well as strobe flash in any number of frequencies.

For real high speed, a specialized flash unit would be needed. A typical TTL flash we use has a variable duration that is used to correct exposure "on the fly". I don't have a brand/model to give you, but I have seen flash times of 1/150,000 sec. advertised. Quick enough to stop a bullet. Your SB-800 could work if you are working close, determine your exposure and set the flash/camera up manually. For digital, you will be limited to relatively short shutter times of several seconds due to hot pixel noise. Film shooters ca open there shutter on "Bulb" setting without any concerns.

How short does the strobe duration has to be?
How much power?
Do you need to sync more than one flash?
Do you need a delay mechanism? Sound/optical trigger.

Eplain what you're trying to shoot, and then we can help.

Ya, more information is needed. Take a look at my website I do some high speed liquid stuff. If it is studio high speed photography you want to do, you are going to have problems getting it done for $500.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back