histogram help

No. Overall luminosity is not clipped. Median is 70, Mean is 80.76 with a standard deviation of 42.3. Significant highlight detail begins at level 220. So it's dark, but not under exposed.

It could use a stop or so more exposure, and there is prob 1.5-2 stops more latitude available to work with.

Ok, so that was where I was going with my question. If luminosity is not clipped, why get so hung up if one channel is clipped? If the picture looks good to your eye, why care?

The latter is a better point, especially if you ascribe to the SOOC philosophy.

But there is good reason to avoid channel clipping. Black and white conversion in particular. If there is no detail in that channel, then there is no information to pull from using the channel mixer.

I haven't had my camera very long and am trying to learn more about the histogram. When I open the raw file the blue is clipped in every single one of my photos. It doesn't matter what mode I'm, even auto. The blue is always clipped. Can anyone tell me what is causing this, or what am I doing wrong?

I don't see a mention of which camera you are using. However, it may be possible to reduce your clipping issue.

If you are shooting in RAW capture, I'd place more importance on the luminosity histogram and not be too concerned about the individual channels - if the image doesn't appear to be blown out. Find software which will allow you to better control the final result in your processing.

If you are shooting in Jpeg format, you should be able to control color intensity/saturation/hue in your menu set up. You should be able to set detailed values for at least the RGB set up. If your camera has custom shooting modes, set up one mode to compensate for your blue balance issue. Do you have any automatic detection systems engaged on your camera?

You might also play with your white balance controls; How to Set White Balance While white balance can be adjusted for your RAW files in your computer, this should give you more control over the appearance of your Jpeg's.

Are you noticing this issue more when you shoot at certain times of the day? Under certain lighting conditions?

I haven't had my camera very long and am trying to learn more about the histogram. When I open the raw file the blue is clipped in every single one of my photos. It doesn't matter what mode I'm, even auto. The blue is always clipped. Can anyone tell me what is causing this, or what am I doing wrong?

I don't see a mention of which camera you are using. However, it may be possible to reduce your clipping issue.

If you are shooting in RAW capture, I'd place more importance on the luminosity histogram and not be too concerned about the individual channels - if the image doesn't appear to be blown out. Find software which will allow you to better control the final result in your processing.

If you are shooting in Jpeg format, you should be able to control color intensity/saturation/hue in your menu set up. You should be able to set detailed values for at least the RGB set up. If your camera has custom shooting modes, set up one mode to compensate for your blue balance issue. Do you have any automatic detection systems engaged on your camera?

You might also play with your white balance controls; How to Set White Balance While white balance can be adjusted for your RAW files in your computer, this should give you more control over the appearance of your Jpeg's.

Are you noticing this issue more when you shoot at certain times of the day? Under certain lighting conditions?
I have a Canon T3i and I shoot raw and save to jpeg. I am glad Unpopular answered the other question you asked because I didn't even know where to find that information. I still use the basic guided sections in Photoshop Elements, and I haven't even begun to get into the luminosity histogram yet. I'm still struggling with the RGB one. I will have to look up what you said about compensating for the blue issue and see how to do that. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day or lighting. The only thing that take the blue clipping away is to lighten the black value and lighten the shadows, but then there's not enough contrast in the photo.

Tones & Contrast
Expose To The Right of the histogram - ETTR
ETTR advocates exposing for the highlights in a scene and letting the shadows take care of themselves.
Film exposure is exactly the opposite - Expose for the shadows and let the highlights take care of themselves.
Optimizing Exposure - Luminous Landscape
ETTR

The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition)
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

Thanks for the links. I only have Photoshop Elements, but the rest will help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No. Overall luminosity is not clipped. Median is 70, Mean is 80.76 with a standard deviation of 42.3. Significant highlight detail begins at level 220. So it's dark, but not under exposed.

It could use a stop or so more exposure, and there is prob 1.5-2 stops more latitude available to work with.
Thanks for answering that question. I wasn't sure where to find the info. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back