Hot Damn- F/.95 (Not a typo!)

Yup. It has been discussed here before. It is the newest version of the Leica Noctilux 50mm for their rangefinders. I have the 50mm f/1 version... quite fun and a challenge to use.

yup... razor thin DOF... there is also certain look to the resulting photos. Simply "leaning" into a shot can mean the difference between moving the DOF from the eyes of a person to the nose or ears.

Among the Leica community it is probably the most polarizing with people who rave and those that hate it. Many will own one for a while but later trade for the Summilux 50mm f/1.4. Interesting enough, the most valuable of the Noctilux generations is actually the first one; Noctilux 50mm f/1.2. I have never (nor do I want to out of being tempted) handled the new Noctilux nor the first version. Personally, I was hoping the new Noctilux would be a 35mm f/1 instead... but that's ok.. another fav of mine is the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 nokton (at a fraction of the price)

Incidentally, Voigtlander took some of Leica's thunder (a little) with their new lens: 50mm f/1.1 Nokton. At $1200, it is a bargain.

Btw.. there are faster lenses out there.. Too bad "Helen B" isn't around to discuss more.. do a search. Very knowledgeable on the technical aspects of optics.

Magazines are dead in the water when it comes to timely reporting on products.

I don't see why you'd need such a fast lens.

Unless you need that enormous lack of DOF, you'd have to press that shutter pretty darn fast.

...It's a Leica, fast aperture in the world. ...

Nope, only the fastest regular probuction lens currently being produced.

Canon has a 50mm f/0.95 for their RF series nearly a half century ago. There have also been lenses made in low quantity for military and scientific use as fast as f/0.70 (a full stop faster than f/1.0) that fit convention bodies (M series Leicas in the case of the pictures I've see published).

The picture on this Widipedia page shows the Canon 7s with their 50mm f/0.95
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_7

...It's a Leica, fast aperture in the world. ...

Nope, only the fastest regular probuction lens currently being produced.

Canon has a 50mm f/0.95 for their RF series nearly a half century ago. There have also been lenses made in low quantity for military and scientific use as fast as f/0.70 (a full stop faster than f/1.0) that fit convention bodies (M series Leicas in the case of the pictures I've see published).

The picture on this Widipedia page shows the Canon 7s with their 50mm f/0.95
Canon 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow. Why don't they mass produce those F.70's? Sure, it'd be pricy but people would pay.

Unless you need that enormous lack of DOF, you'd have to press that shutter pretty darn fast.

How fast you press the shutter has nothing to do with it. Once you get into shallow DOF shots, you get so addicted that crack has nothing on it in comparison.

I recently picked up a 50mm F/1.4, I *LOVE* it and wish it was a F/1.0, I would use it all the time!

You have to remember that this lens is a rangefinder M-mount lens and understand its intended consumer; street, journalist, low-light, discreet, ambient light.

It is the same reason why the Canon 50mm f/0.95 is also a rangefinder lens.

The following link has a good explanation.
Noctilux

Most reactions

New Topics

Back