Hot Spot In Town

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's kinda dull around here on a Thursday night, but this place had some activity. Even though I am submitting this photo for your C&C, I have an idea or 2 of my own that I'd like to run by you.

This was taken just after sunset and hand-held, but I think I should try again even later, on a tripod with a much longer exposure to try to get some trailing tail lights from cars passing by on the right. Maybe pick an evening with some clouds in the sky too.

Another idea is to ask some friends to sort of mill around outside to add some interest and movement. I might even try painting a little light on them with a really bright LED flashlight I have.

Anyway, this is what I got this evening. Nikon D810, Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD at 15mm, f/5.6, 1/40s, ISO 400, hand-held.
plumas-club1504-11-1080x.jpg

By the way, this lens is amazingly sharp (the camera helps too, I s'pose). I can read signs and license plates way far down the street in the full-size version.

I like it a lot Jim! I like the red contrasting with the blue, I like the portrait orientation, I like the street lamp with its glow on the sidewalk. You could think about burning down the white building on the right just a little if you wanted.

Yeah I can picture the scene with a long exposure and a few people moving around are blurred and ghost like with a car trail or two. Is there a night with lots of crowds? I could see a scene where the side walk is busy with blurred people and people crossing the street and one guy or girl leaning on the brick wall next to the window not blurred smoking a cigarette. I get crazy though. I bet free rounds for an hour will get you that shot! :)

Like the image. I think it might be a bit stronger if you cropped just to the right of the street-light. That would emphasize the leading lines you have in the image. If, however, you succeed in getting the car light streaks, then the right would feel to me like it truly belongs.

I like your ideas. Can't wait for the result.
Newb question.....briefly, HOW can everything be so sharp at 5.6? I thought that would. It give this DOF?
Told you it was a newb question

It's all about the distance beween subject and camera and where the point of fous was in Jim's shot (ok, and a little bit to do with focal length too). Focusing 1/3 of the way into the frame would give you a lot in focus. If however Jim had a person standing 3 feet away from him and he focused on that the background would be more out of focus. If Jim had framed it in exactly the same way but used a 300mm focal length and f5.6 and used the sign as a focal point there would also be more blur in the background.

Yes, what @weepete said... and the depth of field for a 15mm is greater than it is at longer focal lengths. In this picture, my focus was on the first street lamp, I believe (I took a few shots from the same position with different focal points).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back