How can I achieve better composition in my photos?

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When it comes to using the elements of composition (leading lines, rule of thirds, etc..) I always find myself having trouble applying these 'rules' to my photos.

For example, whenever I am out and about in the city, I just can't see the all the potential composition around me. I can never find the angles, perspective, or the right focal length to get that one great composition photo.

So, I'm hoping you guys could help me out!
When you're out, what is it exactly that you look for? What catches your eyes the most?

What can I do to achieve better composition in my photos?

Read books on the subject.

Get out and shoot more.

Post a sample or two here for critique.

Read up on the real components you need to understand: the elements and principles of design. Do not concern yourself with silly, so-called "rules" made up for brief web-based articles, but instead learn about the ACTUAL fundamentals that are the basis for good design.

This brief web page will get you started. Elements and principles of design

Reading and studying about compositions from books and other photographs and a lot of practice. Not everything will be perfect all the time.

If something catches your eye spend time shooting it from different angles. Spend time looking at it through the lens before shooting. Keep a cheat sheet about the composition aspects and refer to it.

It's just a desire to get better and spending time to practicing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BHPhotoVideoProAudio/search?query=composition

Learn the rules, study the rules, live the rules, then break them.

And look at photos you like, detach yourself from the happy photo brain, and study the composition of the photos, what did they do that you like, and look for that in the world around you.

For me it was slowing down and mentally going though the composition checklist. Looking though the viewfinder as if I was looking at a photo, and not worrying about the other stuff. I have also printed some of my photos on plain paper and drawn lines on them, and studied to see what happened.

Look up 'elements of composition in art'; take a class; study work of famous photographers.

I think what goes into it is having and/or developing the ability over time to be able to see a potential photograph - there are a lot of different ways you can get to that point.

So, I'm hoping you guys could help me out!
When you're out, what is it exactly that you look for? What catches your eyes the most?

What can I do to achieve better composition in my photos?

On the street, (or other locations/environments where I'm looking to illustrate what's in-situ), I might start by concentrating on the small details. After a while, the bigger meaning of the place sort of emerges, or unanticipated shots can emerge, like people entering the scene. Obviously, if there's something central and prominent to the scene, your attention is immediately drawn to how to frame it.

Generally, it helps to distinguish between what's visually interesting/informing, and what isn't. So if something's important, then keep it in, if not, exclude it entirely. Sometimes you can't do that totally, due to the lens or other things beyond your control. In terms of POV, try things which are different from what people typically see from eye-level. If you can combine pictures elements so that you have a foreground and background elements in addition to the main subject, that adds to the composition. (And shallow depth of field, or dodging and burning the picture afterwards can add emphasis).

A lot of strong compositions are about either colour, or shapes, (some are both). Try to pre-visualize the resulting image, in terms of whether the picture will be monochrome or colour.

Spend more time looking at your photos and cropping for good composition... Doesn't necessarily have to be your intended subject but something you may not have seen at the time. The more time spent identifying what works in your pictures the better your composition will be behind the camera.

Spend more time looking at your photos and cropping for good composition... Doesn't necessarily have to be your intended subject but something you may not have seen at the time. The more time spent identifying what works in your pictures the better your composition will be behind the camera.

you are right alano, but i think its an inside talent to capture really great photographs.

The great Dorothea Lange once said "a camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."

Your challenge is that you need to teach yourself how to see. Let me tell you what worked for me. Yes, you do want to go take pictures. But don't just take ANY pictures. Give yourself assignments. You mentioned leading lines....so next week you're going to go looking for leading lines in photos. And the week after, you're going to look to compose shots that show perspective. And then DoF. And then diagonal lines. And then "S" curves. And then color balance. And then geometric shapes and triangular layouts. And so on. But the point is, what you're doing is you read about the concept of that particular compositional element and then you train yourself to go see it by making that an assignment. What you're doing is training your perspective and building your ability to create (i.e.: compose) a photo rather than just take a picture.

A good thing about a film SLR, (for walk-around snapshots), was that I'd frame and compose more shots than the 12, 24 or 36 that actually got exposed. You can do the same with a DSLR. Scan around the scene a bit more with your viewfinder, consider the image.

Go out and take lots of photos. Then review your photos and choose only 1 that you think is your best out of the bunch. Then post it and see if people agree. There will be positives and negatives but, take what is being said and apply your next shoot.

Rules are there but, can always be broken. IMO a good photo is a good photo. I don't rely on rules to tell me whether my eyes like it and its enjoyable to view. Thats my thought though.

you are right alano, but i think its an inside talent to capture really great photographs.

I agree... Understanding the basics of composition does not make a great photographer.

Just shoot what you see and what you like. Watch how the light falls on subjects from different angles and stop thinking about what how the "rules" are suppose to make your images better.

I had never heard about the rule of thirds until I started on this forum, I didn't know that there were any rules when it came to photography, and 40 years later I'm still working as a photographer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back