How can I achieve better composition in my photos?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Look through some art books; paintings, basically, and in particular, those who are renowned as being masters of their craft. Also, as I think a few suggested, take an art course. Even comic books can be a good example with many of today's artists.

The thing about paint, chalk, pencil, ink, and such is that the artist really only gets one shot at it. They have to take into consideration the whole image before their respective medium even hits paper or canvas. One flaw could inadvertently throw the whole image off. The same is true with photography. Look around. Be mindful of your surroundings.

Michael Freeman's book "The Photographer's Eye - Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos" is highly recommended as a good book to help you learn composition.

Something I do while I'm out taking photo's is I spend time analyzing quite a bit. I may take a photo but after I take that 1 photo I sit there for a minute or two and take in the rest of what is around me. I also go places much slower and look around to see every little bit of detail I can. I generally make time to find creativity rather than just run the regular photos through my head. Look everywhere, at everything, over an extended period of time.

Actually if you look up "composition visual arts" on Wikipedia you'll find most of what you need to know. Rules are rules. It doesn't really matter if you get the information from Michelangelo or Wikipedia. If you can put to good use what's on that page, your imagery will reach new levels. It's not reading about or knowing composition that improves your images. Anyone can read the same books or Wikipedia page. Millions of artists have been learning and applying the exact same rules since the time of the great painters, from Rembrandt to Ansel Adams to whomever your favorite photographer is now. The rules to visual art haven't really changed much in centuries -- and in fact photography pretty much borrowed from painting. It's using them well that improves your images.

I agree... Understanding the basics of composition does not make a great photographer.

Agreed. It makes a really, truly amazing photographer. Lol.

Rare are the photographers that can ignore the rules of composition (design really) and be seriously interesting. But it has nothing to do with applying the rules, sticking to the rules in an idiotic way. It has all to do with the fact that we look at things in a certain way and that images that are way off that certain way of looking are hard to read, hard to comprehend.

Just go out with 1 prime lens 35mm or 50mm and shoot with that for a whole month and i guarantee at the end you will be better

Just go out with 1 prime lens 35mm or 50mm and shoot with that for a whole month and i guarantee at the end you will be better
On top of that shoot in black and white. It'll make you rely on composition rather than color to make an interesting shot.

When it comes to using the elements of composition (leading lines, rule of thirds, etc..) I always find myself having trouble applying these 'rules' to my photos.

For example, whenever I am out and about in the city, I just can't see the all the potential composition around me. I can never find the angles, perspective, or the right focal length to get that one great composition photo.

So, I'm hoping you guys could help me out!
When you're out, what is it exactly that you look for? What catches your eyes the most?

What can I do to achieve better composition in my photos?
Give it time. Slow down. Don't force it. Don't expect to be inspired by the things that inspire others. Just because you see really cool shots from certain types of locations, doesn't mean you'll see those same types of shots when in the same environment. There's nothing wrong with that. Just let it come to you.

Of course, you can prepare yourself too. Spend time looking at inspiring art and photography. Read. Books like "The Photograph: Composition and Color Design" can be a great help by teaching you to look at things a bit differently. Ultimately though, you need to learn to shoot only after you envision the shot, rather than just shooting because you happen to have a camera in your hand. Don't feel obligated to take a picture because you brought a camera, take a picture because you feel compelled by the scene in front of you. Even then, take your time. Don't grab the shot and walk away. Analyze the scene. Walk around it slowly. Look, or wait for, the best light. Wait for the right moment, or gesture. If it's not right, just make a note to yourself and come back later. Keep coming back till it is right. ;)

On top of that shoot in black and white. It'll make you rely on composition rather than color to make an interesting shot.

Totally agree!

I shoot a lot of film to force myself to think while doing it due to the cost, limited shots available, and effort involved. Perhaps, on top of Gary's two prime lens suggestion, you do that with a film camera too? Just a suggestion.

Try planning compositions before you leave your front door, so as not to let yourself be distracted by anything else. You already know what cool buildigns and things are near you. You know the types of people around. You know where the light tends to be when. You can compose from your desk, and I think it would be good practice to try.

I'm not any professional or anything but while learning these compositions my teacher in high school black and white developing photography always told us that we should try our best to try to have a composition but having one may not always produce the greatest pictures. What I'm trying to say is that, maybe you shouldn't be so worried about shooting a composition but to find something that you like and to just shoot it. Be creative and try to get on the ground or up high. You never know what you may find. I was on a bridge trying to shoot a sunset one day and while it didn't work out I was bored and tried shooting a leading line but ended up with this.

Just don't worry 100% about composition and try to have a bit more fun, try something you haven't tried before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back