How can I get this picture better?

alfombraroja

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought the Fujifilm S3 today. I had been using point and shoot camera before and I set this one in automatic since I am a beginner. Can you tell me how can I get this type of photography better. It was in my garage so there wasnt any sunlight. The lens used was a nikon 17-55mm 2.8.

Image0000120080317032740.jpg

Get it out side and clean the intearior to start

The Corvette is a fine subject However the walls of your garadge are not very appealing, get rid of it, Take the car out side and get some trees or open sky in the windows, they will be less distracting. That floor mat is horrible, it has been used and used heavily, Use some carpet cleaner and a stiff brush to work that dirt out of it and bring back the black that is should be. That Parking brake, Disengage it and let the handle set in it's driving position. For shots like this there is no need to worriy about exterior cosmedics, use a parking block to keep the car in place.

Get it out side and clean the intearior to start

*EDITING*

I know the car is dirty but just got the camera and wanted to test it. I have never used anything but a point and shoot. I will get it out tomorrow and get it cleaned. This other one was taken by the photographer that sold me the camera.

Image0000120080213084741.jpg

looks like his white balance was different than yours. He also has slightly better directional light... Either that, or he just chose a better angle that complemented the location of the light better. Your shot also looks more not really overexposed but not as well exposed.

looks like his white balance was different than yours. He also has slightly better directional light... Either that, or he just chose a better angle that complemented the location of the light better. Your shot also looks more not really overexposed but not as well exposed.

Thanks for the opinions, please keep them coming since I know there is lot to learn am a noobie in slr.

I have edited the previous post I shot out the quick responce to act as a place holder but....

Do you see what he did here, Not only has the floor mat ben cleaned up a little but he made some very apparent attempts compose out the garage interior.

To be honest I don't particlarly care for his attempt...it looks forced to put it bluntly. An angle like that is ment to give the feeling of sitting behind the wheel and enjoying the vehicle.....not staring at at ones own crotch.

I will take it out of the garage tomorrow and attempt some pictures in a different place and with the car detailed.

also there is something known as a polarizing filter which runs for about $40 for a decent one
it can really cut down those light reflections on the upholstery

I think your pic could benefit from a little bit of added contrast. I'm not sure if you have Photoshop or Gimp or something, but do a bit of reading up on the Levels and Curves features of these programs.

Biggest problem I see is the use of flash.

When you go outside, direct sunlight is going to create the same kinds of harsh shadows. So I'd choose an overcast day, where you get nice general illumination without so much shadowing. This would also reduce the problems of glare and allow for deeper colors and textured in the burl and upholstery.

BTW, cars are among the world's hardest things to photograph well. So don't be too impatient. It takes time and practice.

BTW, cars are among the world's hardest things to photograph well. So don't be too impatient. It takes time and practice.

Yes they are, Despite knowing how to shoot an interior I still botch it when it counts. On top of that once you go to the exterior creative view points are hard to come by as they have all been done before just about, and that is if the car is in perfect condition. Patients is important here, there is a lot of learning to do with the subject of automobiles. Take yor time and figure it out slowly.

till i read sandspurs comment i was surprised no one had mentioned the use of flash, causes all kinds of ugly shadows that as sandspurs said can be avoided outside the garage...

other than that, i do not see hwy people think the dirty interior is a problem when it's a test shot....if it were a photo to sell then fair enough but....i dunno

till i read sandspurs comment i was surprised no one had mentioned the use of flash, causes all kinds of ugly shadows that as sandspurs said can be avoided outside the garage...

other than that, i do not see hwy people think the dirty interior is a problem when it's a test shot....if it were a photo to sell then fair enough but....i dunno

The dirty interior comment was made because the OP asked how to improve the shot, Thus it is assumed the individual wishes to take shots like this seriously. For the test shot is it not an issue, however if left unsaid it could go un corrected.

As far as the flash comment goes I don't use a flash at all with my SLR's and minimally with my P&S with inboard flashes, so I forget to mention flash issues from time to time.

Unless one knows how to use and exploit several flashes strategically, the best idea given out was to take the car outside either early in the morning or late afternoon and place the camera on a tripod and take shots when the light is soft and diffused.

In general, due to their severely varied angles and highly reflective surfaces, flashes are not the best solution for cars. Yes they can be used, but for highlighting smaller controlled areas, and more as a fill, not a main light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back