How did I create this effect?

justalive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was hiking and test driving my Fujifilm X100s. It was on auto settings and I guess I must have taken a picture by accident but it created this really cool effect and I would like to replicate in the future. Any ideas?

13909260_10102834032542953_2735922402498022548_o.jpg

Looks like the camera was swinging around roughly in a circle and by happy coincidence your mate was near the centre of the circle rendering him in focus(ish).

Yeap, its called motion blur, in most cases its an unwanted effect but it works ok in this shot

Is there anyway I can get this kind of consistently? I tried to spin my camera and the effect is not the same. Do I need to mess with a slower shutter speed different f/stop ?

Is there anyway I can get this kind of consistently? I tried to spin my camera and the effect is not the same. Do I need to mess with a slower shutter speed different f/stop ?

It looks like the results you get with one of the lensbaby lenses. Also google ICM - Intentional camera movement for more info.

two ways to try (just don't get caught up in 'effects' before you actually learn to get good, sharp, well exposed images. )

upload_2016-8-12_9-13-43.png

You can get motion blur in a couple ways. google panning, also ICM [intentional camera movement] and you can also do "zoom bursts" by zooming in or out with a zoom lens as you take the shot. I do my zoom bursts and ICM shots with a low film speed, and slow shutter speed [camera set on Shutter priority] set anywhere from 8 to 0.4, it will depend on how bright your light is. It takes practice, but after awhile you'll get the hang of how fast to move the camera.

@Vtec44

You're flashing in the middle of a long exposure?

sorry, that didn't sound quite so dirty when I started typing!

correct, the long exposure captures the incandescent light, the flash exposes the subjects.

@Vtec44

You're flashing in the middle of a long exposure?

sorry, that didn't sound quite so dirty when I started typing!

Ha!

But to answer the question, yes. Anything that is hit enough by the flash will freeze, and everything outside of the flash will blur.

Because the duration of the flash is a lot shorter than the duration of the exposure for the ambient light.
Also know as 'dragging the shutter'.

The short duration of the flash provides the same kind of motion stopping as a fast shutter speed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back