How do I do this effect?

If you get your film developed at a place that offers photos on CD, that would probably give you good enough quality files. I can't say in general, but most of those places use film scanners which will give much higher quality than a flatbed print scanner at home.

And no, if it's done properly, you can't tell a photoshopped image from an untouched one. It takes some practice to get it seamless, though.

JPPLAY said:
I mean when I scan them into my computer. What kind of scanner do I need so I don't lose any of the quality or where do I need to go to get them scanned in so they don't lose any quality?
I think you might be getting ahead of yourself if you want to try that technique out before knowing how to do digital work. I don't want this to sound like a brush-off, but it's sort of like asking how to play a Yngwie Malmsteen tune when you don't know basic guitar chords.

A decent film scanner will cost you about $100-$150. To get them scanned by someone else, you could have them put on CD by a photo place, but the resolution is usually lower than you can do yourself unless you spend a lot of money on having it done. I've found that the contrast usually sucks, too. It all depends on how "good" you are willing to pay for, for both the service and if you buy your own scanner.

I would recomend picking up a decent book on digital photo editing. They usually include examples similar to the one above. The book will be much more thorough than we can be here.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I didn't feel that your are an ass. The picture I will be doing like these I hope to sell to a magazine so I want them to be the best they can be.

ksmattfish said:
The tripod is only necessary if you want the background to line up exactly in each shot, and it doesn't sound like that's a problem. Just remember to hold the camera still, don't pan with the subject.
I've actually seen it done on a panning series of shots and it looked SPECTACULAR! Mind you, in the shot above, the background (ground) is too close to the subject so maybe it won't work as 'nicely' in this situation.

Most reactions

Back